Hellwig sway bar, smaller than OEM???

I replaced the front sway bar on my 1990 Suburban 2500 with a new Hellwig, but the bar is 1 1/8" compared to the original, which is 1 1/4". Does this matter? I called Hellwig and they told me that larger diameter bars can cause "plowing" when cornering. I bought this bar as part of a set, front and rear. When I attempted to install the rear, the center portion of the bar wouldn't clear the top of the differential and I couldn't mount the endlinks to the frame as described in the instructions. They call for them to be mounted straight up and down, but the only mounting surface available, where the pinch plates mount, leaves the endlinks at almost a 45 degree angle, pointing towards the rear. I am now beginning to wonder if I might have a set of bars for a 1500, not a

2500. Hellwig's application only stated "Suburban". Is there much of a difference in the frames between the two vehicles?

Thanks, Andrew

Reply to
msr971

There is a difference from my '94 K1500 Suburban and my '95 K2500 truck. I never knew of this difference until I saw the two of them sitting side by side in my garage on the same level surface. My K2500 front diff. is dropped about 1-2" lower than the K1500. Control arms are different, too.

I'd get ahold of Hellwig, again, and have them recheck everything and tell them what you are finding. I used two Hellwig bars about 12 years ago on my Pontiac GP. The front fit perfect, but the back was a little tougher to bolt up, but went pretty smooth. They make a good product.

Reply to
Snowman