Help!

I am having problems with my 86 Chevy Silverado 2wd pk-up. The problem is that the starter won't crank. When I turn on the key, I can hear clicking noise, but when I try to start it there is nothing. I did the head light
check test, the lights do not dim when I try to turn it over. I checked the battery, i.e. added new posts, filled battery levels to full and let it charge for about 4-5 hours, still nothing. I was told there is a way to by- pass the solenoid but don't know how.......please help! Any kind of help would much be appreciated. THANX!!
P.S. please e-mail la snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com or post here

it sounds like the starter solenoid is bad....if you go to the trouble of replacing the solenoid you might as well replace the entire starter. New or rebuilt starters normally comes with a solenoid.
The other potential is electrical... battery could be bad, bad battery cable or alternator. Battery could be load tested to see if its ok, alternator can be check with a volt meter....
you can "jumper" across the solenoid at the starter but that does not fix anything. People use a screwdriver sometimes to do this.
My guess is that the starter needs to be replaced. ----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com
or sometimes the battery cable is not a good connection where it bolts onto the solenoid on the starter. old john