HELP: Changing Trans Filter on 1998 K1500

I decided to change the transmission fluid and filter on my 1998 K1500. After draining the fluid, removing the filter, and knocking the brass(metal) seal where the filter inserts into the transmission, I tried to replace the brass seal and I cant get it to fit.

The filter kit I bought at Advance Auto Parts looks like the correct filter and the gasket lines up on the pan but I can't get the seal for the filter to go in.

Does anyone know if there are any tricks to get it to fit, or maybe the kit from AAP just has the wrong size seal.

Thanks.

Forest

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net

Reply to
Forest Hursey

I recently changed mine... same vehicle and didn't remember there being a problem. Did the seal stay in the trany when you removed the filter?

I do know that they are 2 different sizes of filters, one's for a short pan and another for a deep pan. The short pan filter is for the S-10 Blazer type vehicle and the deep filter is for the K1500 trucks. I found out the hard way and had to run back up to the store for a replacement. Make sure you have the right one or the filter will not reach the bottom of the pan for fluid pickup!

Yes, the seal did stay in the transmission when I removed the filter. It said to remove it in the manual I have. I had to use a punch and a hammer to bend the seal in and get it to come out. Now I just can't seem to get the replacement seal in. It doesnt look like I damaged the aluminum housing where it seats. I am going to go to the dealer tomorrow and pick up a filter kit from them. I dont trust the one from Advance Auto Parts.

Reply to
Forest Hursey

On my '97 Tahoe, I changed out the Fluid, and Filter a few years back.

While I didn't have any problems with the filter, I did have a problem with the cheap Cork Gasket which came with this supposed AC/Delco Kit.

The gasket was problematic, and split in one area trying to obtain proper torque values on the pan bolts.

I had to wind up dropping the pan again a short time later, and went to Chevy, and got the correct Black Rubberized/Vulcanized Paper Gasket. No probs after that. Mark

Reply to
Mark D

I stopped by the dealership today and paid $60 for a transmission filter kit. I was able to get the seal installed in the transmission by using a punch and hammer gently tapping it from side to side until it was completely seated. No wonder it was such a pain to take out. That is a very tight fit. I also had to take a rubber mallet and tap the filter up into the seal until it was fully seated.

Also to note, I had to take the heat shield off between the catalytic converter and the transmission on the passenger side to get the pan to come off. I remember seeing a post from someone describing having to bend or remove the cable support for the sfhit linkage. This wasnt necessary for me.

Overall this small job tuned out to be a big pain in the butt.

Forest

Reply to
Forest Hursey

You could have gotten the same "kit" at a Advance Auto for around 25 bucks.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

I assume you pulled the old seal out first, you would be surprised how many don't.

Reply to
Eugene Nine