HELP: disconnect GM heater hose quick-connect

I have a Chevy Suburban that I'm going to replace the rear heater core (leaks) but I have to disconnect the heater hose quick connects to it to remove it. I've tried to purchase a tool to separate the quick connects but no auto part stores in the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area have it and most don't know what I'm talking about. My GM service manual says I need a special tool (J 38723) but none of the 5 GM dealers that I contacted carry tools to sell. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Jabs

Get rid of this quick-disconnect set-up all together. Almost everyone I know that has this type of QD set-up at the intake manifold has had problems with either leakage or breakage of the fitting with the hose into it or the soft metal fitting breaking at the intake eventually. If your heater hose connects to the rear of the manifold and it breaks you will be cussing at GM at what it takes to repair it if the fitting breaks off flush into the manifold. Just go to the hardware store and get a brass adapter and hose fitting to install the heater hose to it. Works great and last long time... My 2 cents for what it's worth.

Reply to
gm

Yep, can hardly wait to take the one off my '99 Suburban's intake manifold. I postponed it this fall as it just crusts over a little, but will probably have to face the inevitable this Spring. Why, oh why couldn't it be in the water pump, an inexpensive pump at that as was on my '95 Yukon 5.7 L TBI engine, and not some outrageously expensive pump like on the Vortec!!! It broke in that pump and I simply replaced the pump and fitting with hardly any time/effort and everything was good as new at 75K miles. No more worries, period!

"gm .net>" >

Reply to
Kevin

when I did the heads on my 4.3, I disconnected it at the heater end and left the manifold end hooked up

will that work on yours ?

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer