Help..dropping front differential driveshaft.

Hi.. I'm replacing the front 3 member (front differential) on a Chevy 1988 1500 4X4. I unbolted the four bolts to the front of the drivceshaft connecting to the
differential to the ujoints. At the end of the front drive shaft are four bolts on a flange bolted to the transfer case of the transmission. I took these four bolts out.
The shaft won't drop or disengage. I can't see any other bolts holding it on.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.. Josh
josuha1900 wrote:

You don't need to take it off at the t/case. You can just disconnect it at the diff and pull it back slightly. It won't be in the way when you pull the diff out.
Ian

Shade tree mech comment.... Take it out and be done with it. Sometimes they stick in the saddle and you may need to stick a wrench or big screw driver between joint and flange to break it loose and remove it. While you have it out it is a good time to check the joints on it too. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

That -is- shade tree... You realize that if he does that, he won't have 4 wheel drive don't you?

Why if he's going to "be done with it?"
On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 14:59:25 GMT, aarcuda69062

You call it what you want, we have always called it "shade tree". ALso, where did I say to leave driveshaft off and not replace/reinstall it when he was done??? Great time to pull it and check it too and lube if need be because you can inspect it a lot better off truck than on it. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Called what "shade tree?" The unnecessary removal of a component?

The "be done with it" part.

Your limitations do not extend to everyone.
On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 01:26:06 GMT, aarcuda69062

I guess you are a shade tree too huh? The real mech would remove it and inspect it fully while they were in there for a mere few extra minutes of labor while a lessor one would not so they can charge agin later more money to service it. I can tell that you do not beleive in PM (Preventative Maintainance) while you are in the area. Glad you do not work on my stuff.

Again, shade tree mech call

You need to rephrase this... Your (not mine) lack on insight does not extend to everyone but you would like it to so you do not feel so alone and make you feel more justified with you shortcuts rather than doing a proper inspection while in the area. . ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

This is the classic example where someone asks what time it is and you feel compelled to tell how to build a watch. Look dipshit, he asked about why the shaft wouldn't come loose, he didn't ask for inspection instructions.
And as far as working on your stuff goes, you don't have enough money to offer for me to work on your greasy slimy crap.

I agree. And seeing as it came from you, exactly what one should expect.

Again, the OPs concern had to do with the drive shaft not coming loose after he removed the bolts, how that equates to you and your need for describing removal, inspection and lubrication is anyones guess.
Next time someone asks what time it is, don't tell them how to build a watch.
SnoMan wrote:

Aw....poor Snomaggot! He doesn't need to take it out and you know it! Don't retaliate, just come up some good advice of your own for him.
Ian

Ian, be careful or you will feel the wrath of some those that the idiot has bs'd into thinking he knows what the heck he is talking about.
Roy
Roy wrote:

Oh yeah....those newsgroup cops! It's funny to hear them whine. They have no idea what a really nasty newsgroup is like. This one is relatively easygoing. They should have been around 5 years ago.
Ian