Help: engine problem with 88 Silverado 1500 (305)

What fuse was burn? Hope it was not the ECM I or ECM B ;-)

I suppose it is a TBI, are the injectors working? Remove the air filter cover and check for a mist of gas going out of the injectors while you crank and listen for a clicking sound. You can also put a dry rag under the injectors, crank it a few seconds and check if the rag is soaked with gasoline.

If you got this and you have spark, then it _should_ start.

Next step is to remove a couple of spark plugs to see if they are fouled with gas or oil.

Good luck. And try to check what fuse was burn, ECM's don't like reverse polarity...

I am not a mechanic but that's what I'll do ;-)

del wrote:

Reply to
Le Boule

Had a battery problem, it went so dead it took a reverse polarity charge on being recharge! Got that straightened out, then replaced a blown fuse under the dash (10A fuse labeled Power). This fuse must have blown when I inadvertently tried hooking up the reverse polarity battery. All other fuses fine. Fuel pump fuse is ok, and fuel pump can be heard working.

Engine will not start. I checked, it has good high tension at the plugs. So I'm thinking a fuel delivery/injection problem somewhere.

Any suggestions where to look next will be deeply appreciated.

del

Reply to
del

Del, are you saying you tried to jumpstart your truck reverse-polarity?

I'd say that could probably cause some havoc...look to the ECM being fried. If the battery is good, try putting a paperclip in the A&B slots on your ALDL connector(located by your left knee when sitting, A&B are the uppermost-right 2 slots). TUrn the key to ON, not START, and see if it makes your check engine light flash.

It's not a guarantee that your ECM(computer) is good, but it would be more likely to be functioning properly. Let us know if there are any error codes, as well. it should flash 3 sets of 12's(one flash=number one, 2 flashes=2, 3 flashes-3, Etc). After the 3 12's should follow any stored codes with another set of 12's indicating the end of the error log.

Sam

Reply to
GaWd

Thanks, Sam... I think you may be right on the ECM.

In answer to your battery question... have you ever heard of a battery being so deeply discharged that when finally recharged it is reversed polarity? I'd heard of it, but never experienced it. Wally world gave me a new one free of charge (hmmm) since it was less than a year old.

Anyway, this evening I jumped the A & B slots on the ALDL, not getting the 12 count. Check gauges lite comes on and stays on, but the Check engine light never ever comes on, jumpered for error code or not.

I also checked each fuse in the fuse block electronically, then checked the fuseable links under the hood.... all good.

A friend has the same 1500 model '88 silverado, and he'll let me swap his ECM into my rig to verify your diagnosis.

del

Reply to
del

| > In answer to your battery question... have you ever heard of a battery | > being so deeply discharged that when finally recharged it is reversed | > polarity? I'd heard of it, but never experienced it. | | can't happen | I agree with Gary. The only time I've seen a battery reverse polarity charged was when some one hooked up a *$%! fast charger to the battery backwards. Needless to say, things were weird and that battery didn't last long! Could this have happened here? (Charger hooked up backwards)

Regards, Sam

Reply to
"Sparky"

can't happen

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Got some news for you... maybe it wont have full voltage but it will show reverse polarity. If connected to a load it will likely drop to almost zero though.

Reply to
Le Boule

I thank Gawd and Sam.... it was the ECM, $76 exchange at my local NAPA dealer and it's up and running fine.

del

Reply to
del

Glad to hear!