HELP-how do they size fittings????

Ok, I thought I understood it, but I guess not. Here's my deal: I was looking for fittings so i can replace my oil cooler lines with stainless steel braided. So I pop my fitting off the oil filter adapter(male) and the one I can get off my radiator(female). So off i go to lowes to use their little fitting sizer thing. So the one that goes into the oil filter adapter is 3/8 NPT, that's the easy one. So the other one that goes into the radiator is 1/2" flare. Sounds simple right?

So I want to double check, the npt one is easy cuz i have 3/8 fittings laying around the house, perfect fit, ok cool. So I go looking around the net and find:

So I go to the inverted flare section... I measure as instructed with a caliper, 3/4 on the nose which makes it a 1/2" fitting. Ok I check the 3/8 NPT one to make sure i'm doing this right, and it's right near

43/64. Ok so I think I'm good to go now....

So I order my fittings from summit:

4 hose ends 6AN 2 3/8 NPT male to 6AN 2 1/2 inverted flare male to 6AN pn 220668B 2 6 ft pieces of hose

Now I get my fittings today... and the 3/8 NPT ones are right on, but the 1/2 inverted male flare are tiny!!! The OD is 1/2"!!! WTF is going on here, it's not like the 3/8 NPT is 3/8" OD it's frikkin 3/4. So anyone who knows fitting sizes please help, am i retarded? It seems like i did everything right... or if anyone knows what fitting i can get to adapt please let me know, I'm worried that i just wasted 85 bucks...

Thanks, Ed

Reply to
89GMC

I am not an expert....but not abominable either.

First...anytime you see that x" - y like 1/2" -20 ...it refers to USS coarse thread or SAE fine thread. Those are basically nut/bolt/thread sizes....diameter by threads per inch. That part number on Summit shows that.

I think what you need is a tubing fitting size ....originally sized for 1/2" inverted tubing....but I'm not 100% sure because I didn't track all your dimensions on the 1/2" connections. Check that out though.

Your 6AN is probably a 6/16 (3/8) flare connection. I can't remember if that is 30, 37, or 45 degree flare...but it is common hose connection fitting for hydraulic, etc. hoses. I assume your 6 foot hoses already have the nuts crimped on them to match your adapters.

I think you just need the right adapter to get you from the 6AN to the 1/2" tubing connection.

In the future, for hoses like this....try your local tractor or heavy equipment service center. They can make these hoses in no time and likely you would not need the adapters. I used to do it in high school at the local auto parts. It was kinda fun except on Sundays when you were trying to stay clean and watch the game....then some farmer would bring in a busted hose....one with special bent tubing lines on each end. You'd have to remember the orientation. Then hack saw off the old collars and reuse his fittings. He'd leave happy and I'd be covered with stinky hydraulic oil from the old hose.

skimmer

Reply to
NewsSkimmer

On my '88' K1500, I believe the radiator fittings are a metric size. What size ????? I had a hose shop build a pair of 1/2 hoses for me. They braze-welded the aluminum elbow on to a steel fitting that fit the 3/8 NPT on the new hoses. Works ok & better flow. good luck

Mike N

Reply to
Mike

========= =========

a link to browse through.....

one thing.....jest outta curioustiy..... why the want for steel braided hose?

~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his crownroyal.....takes a toke....~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Thanks for the link, those will fit the trans lines, but not big enough for the oil cooler. The want(not need) for braided lines is because I don't want to put the factory style lines back on there, don't trust the ends, and hear nothing but bad things about them. So I guess I could go rubber, but don't want to worry about it rubbing through or getting too close to the exhaust. What I ended up doing this past weekend, is going braided stainless(8AN) 3/8 NPT adapters on the oil filter adapter end and tube sleeves/nuts and a 37 degree flare on the piece of line already coming out of the radiator, so far so good, no leaks. Spent some $$ but hopefully never have to deal with it again.

Reply to
89GMC

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Glad to here you're up and running......

thanks for the update.....good way to close a post..... with a FIX.

Makes the archives look better.....not that anyone use's them.

anywhoooo.......

~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his crown n coke......cheers another fine high quality reinstallation~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster