HELP!! How much trouble am I in?

On June 28 I had the sway bar bushings replaced in my '92 s10 Blazer 4x4. Yesterday, 07/04/04, while I was driving my wife to work I noticed a rattling noise coming from beneath the truck. When I pulled to the side
of the road to investigate I discovered that one of the bolts holding the end of the sway bar to the lower control arm on the passenger side had fallen out, allowing the sway bar to rattle. This morning I took the truck back to the shop where the work was done. The mechanic who had replaced the bushings told me that the threads had stripped out of the bolt hole in the lower control arm and that he had had to drill completely through the arm and put in a through bolt. I'm supposed to be driving from New Jersey to Florida next week, leaving early Monday morning. My question is this: Has the structural integrity of the lower control arm been compromised by the addition of the new hole in the upper surface of the control arm?
Any help, comments, or suggestions are welcome.
Thanks in Advance,
N.M.W.B.A.o.O.
It'll be alright, I'm assuming this is only a 3/8" hole he drilled thru the arm. those arms are pretty tough dude, don't stress on it. -- Mad Dog
message

no, just drive it and enjoy. john
message

. . . ========= ========= HELP!! How much trouble am I in? Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, Jul 5, 2004, 6:04pm (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (NoMailWillBeAnsweredorOpened)
[...]
No.
however......... the integrity of the technician is.
By the way the post is worded, I'm not quite sure if he did the proceedure before or after you returned with the truck. Though I'm leaning to the before.
Either way...... if he repaired it before it left the first time.... WHY DID THE BOLT FALL OUT?? hmmmmm.....
or... if he repaired it on your second trip... then..... he surely should have known that he was letting the truck leave with a stripped stud. I mean, tight is tight.....slipping sockets don't lie.
It leads one to want to find a better tech, or at least one that's more concerned with the quality of his work.
any whoo.....
yer ok. The thing had a hole in it before the factory pressed the stud through.
MarshMonster ~:~ ======== ========
BFD. Drive the damn thing.
<have had no sway for about 4 years now>
message

Tell the guy who used a 1/2" drive impact;
To tighten it up. To buy a grade 8 bolt and nut to replace the one he stripped. Because of the extra moving part, where he oversized the hole in the control arm now. Just for the added strength!
Refinish King
message