Help me identify this part

The speedometer and odometer recently stopped working on my 1983 Chevrolet Suburban. Inspecting the speedometer cable's connection to the transmission (TH700R4, automatic) I discovered a plastic gear (see photo
at http://srcopan.vze.com/part.html ) with stripped teeth. There is no obvious marking or labeling on the gear, nor can I count the number of teeth it once had. The shaft is approximately 3-3/8 inches (8.7 cm) long and the gear's diameter is approximately 1-3/4 inches (4.2 cm). That is with the teeth stripped; there is no telling what the diameter was with the teeth intact.
If I knew what this part is called, I would buy one from an online merchant and get my odometer working again. But what is it called? at alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks titled "Help me identify this part". If you can also suggest an online vendor likely to have it, that would be even better. Chevrolets are rare where I live, so local parts stores aren't going to have it
--
Warren Post
Santa Rosa de Copn, Honduras

El Thu, 04 Jan 2007 20:05:36 -0500, Paul escribi:

Thanks, Paul. Any idea where I could find more info online? There is only one Chevy dealer in my country, and they opened for business only three years ago, so I doubt that they will have the experience (or, frankly, motivation) to help identify a 25 year old transmission part.
--
Warren Post
Santa Rosa de Copn, Honduras

Warren Post wrote:

That is the speedometer driven gear. They will need that one to give you the correct one since they are color coded. http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Components/speedometer_gears.asp That one looks like a 35 tooth natural gear.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Warren Post wrote:

US$11.00, and says they "ship foreign orders by air" Obviously the shipping might cost more than the parts.
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/speedometer_calibration_______va.htm#700r4
Warren Post wrote:

Try sites like these for parts ID: http://www.rockauto.com / http://www.napaonline.com http://www.acdelco.com http://www.acdelco.com/worldwide /
    Any GM dealership world wide should be able to order you a GM part once you know what you need. It may take them a while to get the part in, especially if they have to wait for a large enough order. GM Dealers in the USA will at times stock parts going back 20 years.
    The napaonline website often has images of parts, as does the AC Delco website. Napa parts numbers will often cross reference to a GM or AC Delco part number.
    If you search google.com & yahoo.com for GM parts you should find dealers willing to ship you parts anywhere in the world.
Charles P.S. I have ship used auto parts to Europe & Australia. If you run in to any issues ill try to help.
El Sat, 06 Jan 2007 13:57:01 -0500, Charles Bendig escribi:

Thanks for the URLs, Charles -- those are very helpful.
--
Warren Post
Santa Rosa de Copn, Honduras