HELP NEEDED on Z-71 POPPING..........PLEASE READ

I have a 1996 Chevrolet Z-71 (146, 000 miles) that has developed a problem. When putting the truck in gear (forward) and/or taking off, I hear a popping noise from the rear of the truck.
It, also, has developed a vibration at about 60 m.p.h. when on the highway.
I am currently in the Navy, aboard the USS Nimitz, and needless to say do not have the funds to take to a repair shop. I am very handy at doing most all of my vehicle maintenance.
Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated. Please e-mail me at;
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com
First thing I'd check is the U-joints.