Help with understanding oxidation vs thermal breakdown vs. flash point (engine oils)

All,

I'm trying to understand the difference between oxidation, thermal breakdown, and flash point.

First, is "oxidation" and "thermal breakdown" the same thing?

Does a higher flash point mean that the oil will resist oxidation better than an oil with a lower flash point? I've also noticed that some of the best petro oils out there have a higher flash point than some of the synthetics (example below). Does that mean that some of the best petro oils are more resistant to thermal breakdown than some synthetics? I have always been convinced that synthetics stand heat much better than petro oils, am I wrong?

The below information is taken directly from the Mobil's website - I didn't make the numbers up!

Mobil 1 Delvac (synthetic) flash: 226c

Mobile Delvac 1300 super (non-synthetic) flash: 230c

Thanks,

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Willson