Helper springs, or weight distributing hitch?

Guys, I'm getting ready to pull our 22' camper trailer out for one of two vacations this year. I backed up to it this weekend, and I'm not happy with the way the truck sits. The rear drops lower than the front. It's about a 1" difference from the top of the fenders, to the ground.

It's embarassing looking.

Truck: '04 Silverado SS Rear suspension: Leaf, same as a Z71, but without the 2" lift blocks. Camper: 22', about 3,800lbs. Unknown tongue weight.

The trailer sits level during all of this.

I had previously pulled the camper with my Avalanche. We all know the huge rake the Av's have, and the huge amount of rear suspension travel. That truck leveled out pretty nice with some positive rake left over, and it handled AWESOME. I know if I don't do something with the SS, it's going to be one harsh, bucking, ride to the ocean.

My question is, do I need a weight distrubuting hitch, or helpers in the rear of the truck?

The suspension on the SS is so soft, It was popping a wheelie with two yards or mulch in the back, a week or two ago.

If helpers will do - What's recommended, air bags, or leafs?

I don't want to use full-time, non adjustable leafs. I like the low stance of the truck and don't want to raise it. I'm uncertain about the "quirks" some airbags have.... Things like "not being able to lift the truck by the frame, with the wheels fully extended." I want some- thing more durable than that.

I want something I can install - adjust when a load is present - and then forgotten about the rest of the time.

Thanks,

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

a WD hitch is the way to go for safety, and I would recommend 1 if you're a "weekender" like we are...

OTOH, if you only tow a few times a year, you might go to a good air bag system instead... they level the truck (but don't really distribute weight) for towing and then you bring them down to 4 or 5 pounds for normal running..

As to leaf springs, I'd still go air bags... The trend now in towing is to pass on the 1 ton and go to the 3/4, since (at least with Dodge & ford, dunno bout Chevy) the only difference is that the 3500 has overload springs... so, since the overloads rattle the hell out of you when you're not towing, they put air bags on the 3/4 and have as good or better weight rating and a much better ride...

if you go air bag.. either get separate fillers or optional check valves on each bag... a friend went with the stock setup and on corners, the bag that you NEEDED the pressure in would compress and send it to the bag on the other side.. (not good! *g*)

Mac

Reply to
mac davis

Yeah, I only pull this trailer out for two vacations a year. The ride each way, is about 100 miles. 49% of that is 65mph highway, 49% of that is 50mph highway. The other 2% is all backroads.

I've got my eye on the "Roadmaster Active Suspension" springs right now.

I see the Ride-Rite airbags for my truck have some side effects. You can't lift the truck off the ground by the frame, because the rear axle will over-extend the airbags and it could damage them.

That's a little bothersome to me, because I'm a motorhead and I'm ALWAYS doing something to the truck... I know I'd be the guy who lifts it up, and forgets about the bags until I break something.

The Roadmaster springs look like they basically work like standard overload springs - just a different style. I think some of the stuff they say is a bit of a gimmick, but I still like the easy install and easy adjustments. It also looks like a "set it and forget it" kind of product. What I need.

Wow, I never thought of that. Yeah, if I did go with airbags I was already planning on going with seperate lines. The truck has a bit of a drivers-side lean I'd like to adjust out if I could.

Thanks,

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

the most popular airbags seem to be the firestones... a friend got a brand he said was better and less expensive, at summit racing... If you want info, his email is snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (remove pants to reply)

Mac

Reply to
mac davis

Reply to