hey doc - - -

back to the '94 chevy evap core......
after getting most of the easy stuff off, is there any reason i cant carefully cut the rear face off of the plastic housing, slip the evap core straight out
and replace it - (the connections appear to be outside the firwall), then glue/duct tape/jb-weld the housing back together?????? ( i have a few tools that could do it easily and safely - like a rotary carving tool, etc - i will NOT use the sawzall... lol))
????
????
i may have to remove the dash to give room to slip it out but that is no issue at all - been there/done that.
and at 10 yrs and 211K miles, all i want is cool air. i own 3 other vehicles for other uses... (kids, wife, etc) so i'd like to drive this one myself much longer.....

I wouldn't, but if you feel like taking a shortcut who's stopping you. In my opinion you could cut it out just fine, but getting that piece back on and completely air and water tight isn't likely. The air leaks will make the air out of your vents blow warmer, and the condensate that leaks out will ruin your carpet and rust your floorboards.
If yer' gunna take the dash off anyways, just do it the right way.
Doc
Can you say:
Puerto Ricanio?
Chure Ju Can, Maing!
Refinich Keeng

hmmm...must be an insult hidden there.... ;-)
thats ok, i can take it. i am sure i sound like i live in a house with tires but with 2 kids in college and with their cars and insurance to pay for as well as tuition i am just trying to do things as cheap as i can so i can still afford a couple of nice surfing vacations each year.....nicaragua in september baby!!!!!
If you're pulling the dash:
Split the case with a few bolts, and pull the evaporator the right way. I'm sure you'll thank yourself when you have adequate cooling, and also no water dripping on your feet. Also, one more thing, moisture on the damn windshield. Don't you hate that?
refinish King

actually, i wasnt planning on pulling the dash otherwise because the alldata directions dont say to, but we pulled it last week before abandoning the effort to replace the core.
pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by "splitting the case with a few bolts?"
i am not real happy with all data so far - they mention too many parts to be removed that are not shown in the diagram. for instance, what the hech are "hinge panel trim pillars" ?
further - they just say "remove center floor air distribution duct"", without telling you where to disconnect, etc. i already broke part of the heater core casing because there was a teensy bolt hidden waaaay in the back.....
and come on, duct tape will fix anything! and besides, the damn thing has dripped water on the passengers feet for 10 yrs... ;-)
The case is under the hood:
In two halves if it's a big bodied car. The hinge panel trim pillars, are the kick panels and the A-pillar trim panels.
If the body type is what I think you have, the bolts are under the hood. get a Chilton or Motor manual. the information contained in them is much more accurate than All data. Mitchell On Demand is the hands down best.
You can buy a whole set up to the 4th quarter of 2003 hacked somewhere for about $100.00 and some might throw in classic cars too.
But, to not get off of the subject, I had All Data, and ditched it in favor of Mitchell On Demand!
Sorry for the joke and good luck, give me the specific car, make and model. Maybe I have the manual?
I hope I can help you in that way?
Refinish King

'94 chevy truck.....1500 z71
The evaporator should come out from under the hood"
If I'm not mistaken?
The case under the hood splits in half and the evaporator comes out of that case, not from inside the truck.
Refinish King

OK
Lack of experience on that model.
Sorry, I wish I could help more?
Refinish King

'snip'

'snip'>
Now wouldn't this be considered illegal? Your implying that it's a good thing to source some "hacked" (your words) CD's to this poster.
Weren't you crying about how awful it was that a poster asked for a CarFax from the group not long ago? And how illegal it would be and it's stealing!
By the way how many faces do you have? I mean besides the one on your shoulders and the one you sit on? Which are identical by the way. They both spew shit!
What a putz you are!
Brian

Hey man, Refinish is a decent fellow IMHO. Lighten up.
Doc

"Doc" wrote:

                                    Remo

Doc, I just don't like double standards. Maybe I am being to harsh.
Brian
they are all over:
Someone was asking for a Car Fax to be ran. I don't buy the CD's personally. My subscription is on hold, but I never buy hacked CD's.
You can even come look at my thousands of dollars of genuine Micro$oft software!
Refinish King

Refinish King wrote:

Geez, I wouldn't be paying anyone 100 dollars for that set, when you can get them all over the net, if you happen to be even slightly proficient with P2P and a burner.
Ian
Thanks for that Ian:
I've just never gone after them.
Thank you again.