Hey Doc!

I`ve been on this discussion group for about a week now,and you really seem to know your stuff.I know a bit myself,but not as much as you.So I got a question for you,or anyone else. I have a `97 1/2 ton with the 5.7 and 3.73 gears. I was thinking about putting headers,and cold air intake on,and a new mass air flow sensor.What kinda gains,or losses could I see? Any input bad or good,would be fine.

Thanks!

Reply to
Bill S

use full length headers, shorties are worthless (i.e. the gain isn't worth the trouble of installing them)

again, they're pretty much worthless and you get stuck with a sh*tty filer (K&N). if you've got the skills, incorporating a NACA duct into the hood or functional cowl induction will actually net you something useable.

again, wasted money. unless you get a turbo or a blower on it, the MAF will flow plenty for the 350.

see above.

Any input

the biggest bang for the buck you could do would be to drop in a 4.10 gear set. it'll cost you somewhat in the mileage dept, but the gains you get in towing and acceleration are well worth it. also, if you're truck is an auto and doesn't have an external transcooler, go out and buy the biggest one you can find and install it.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I`d love to do a blower,but don`t have the cash. As far as the headers that`s exactly what I was thinking. Do you really think I will notice a big difference from 3.73`s to

4.10`s? I was kinda thinking not really,but I`m no mechanic.
Reply to
Bill S

I'm going to echo Bret's advice with the exception of the 4.10's. Full length headers, and don't go bigger than 2.5" pipes if you're running new pipe as it'll kill your torque. You already have a cold air intake as the intake point is at the front of the truck. MAF is unecessary; you only need a modified MAF if you're using a forced air induction system (blower or turbo).

4.10's are gunna net you 10% more rear-end rotations per rotation of the engine, which will increase launch speeds, but not all that much. A good set of headers plus X or H crossover, true duals and good mufflers will net you more bang for the buck. The gear change will run about $200 for the riung and pinion and maybe $300 for installation, which is not for the ill-equipped DIY'er. You can run headers, crossover and duals yourself for less than that.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I already run Flow Master Mufflers,with stock size exhaust pipes,but duals. Should I run bigger exhaust than stock? How big is stock? Also,I should leave the stock air induction,but change the mass air flow sensor? Is that correct?

Reply to
Bill S

Read my post again dude, I thought it was pretty clear. Leave the air intake system alone, no need for modified MAF, headers with X or H crossover would be great. Leave the pipes you already have run, just add some headers and a crossover.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

My Bad! Little tired last night. Sorry!

Reply to
Bill S

think of it this way..... 10% lower gearing is like giving yourself

10% more HP and torque. an effective 25HP and 34 lbsft increase.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

A 10% increase in rear-wheel rotations per engine rotation doesn't directly convert to an extra 10% HP and ft/lbs at the rear wheels, plus, it's gunna hurt his fuel economy.

A nice set of headers + crossover will help his fuel economy and net him the same if not more FLYWHEEL horsies and ft/lbs and cost less than a rear-end re-gear.

I think we're gunna have to agree to disagree on this one bud!

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"