Holley truck avenger

Has anyone had problems/experience with the truck avenger? Mine has been a real pain, during initial startup and warm up the idle is smooth, constant
and set to the required specs when I put a load on it (more than 1/4 actuation of the throttle) the engine wants to stall then I let off the throttle and it runs normal until I put a load on it, now after driving for more than 10 minutes it does get better but still will stall if I romp on it, even stranger is the fact that when I park it and let it idle the curb idle is way too high. It also appears to be really excessively drinking the fuel . HELP!
1986 K10 305 ci TH700R4 Holley fuel pump Weiand intake 8004 Truck avenger 670 cfm new bosch +4 plugs new wires dual exhaust "that's all the tricks" manifold pressure is 15 primary and secondary floats reset air ratio needles reset timing is right on choke "hard to tell"
Sounds like a vacuum leak! Also, make sure that there is NO vacuum to the vacuum advance on the distributor at idle! Idle should be set with the vacuum line off anyway.

Sounds like you way over carbureted that engine too... I think a high CFM carb for a 305 is say 500cfm...
~KJK~

*ear to ear* good to know I'm right every once in a while... I decided to look it up, according to my Haynes book:
300CUI @ 6500RPM is 450CFM But he probably wants top HP at more 4000-5000RPM so.. 300CUI @ 5000RPM is 315CFM
What are your thoughts? Allot lower than both of our WAGs...
~KJ~

Yep, a Holley 450cfm tunnel ram carb. would do him justice. -- Mad Dog

Th e general consensus, and i agree 100% is that you over carbed that 305 by 170-200cfm. I researched the truck avenger and it is a single-line dual-feed square-bore with vacuum secondaries. Step 1: Install a stiffer spring in the vacuum canister that actuates the secondary throttle plates. Step 2: Remove the primary metering block and reduce the all the jets by at least 2 sizes This will drastically improve driveability, but more fine tuning is required. Carb. tuning is a art form and requires much trial and error unless you want to splurge on a air/fuel ratio monitor which will greatly simplify the tuning process. Short of buying a smaller carb. such as 450 or 500 you're gonna have to do some rejetting: the idle circuit, metering block, main jets and vsecondary spring need modifications to work correctly on a motor that small. Heres a idea, put some cubic inches under the hood. There is no replacement for displacement.......... BTW, are you a Ham....those look like call letters -- KG4LBD Mad Dog