Hooking up an IPOD to a 03' Trailblazer LT

Anyone know what is involved in hardwiring a cable to the radio head unit on this truck? I have tried the FM transmitter and I get too much interference. I would rahter use a mini plug to RCA cable and play it that way. I was also trying to figure out why there is an AUX button but no AUX input?

Reply to
bobo999

I made the mistake of looking for RCA inputs on the back of my radio (aftermarket, Eclipse) too. It was actually a mini (.5mm) stereo jack (female). Might try looking for something similar on your stock unit.

After making the connections I got a stereo jack from Radio Shack and mounted it next to the airbag defeat switch. Looks clean and works well. You'll still lose some fidelity but you'll gain the use of your iPod.

That said, even at 320 kbps your still short of cd quality by about 1100 kbps, other compression formats are better but your iPod won't support them. Point being, if your using any compression format...Hi-Fi should not really be your concern. If your just worried about the introduction of noise, the AUX jack, if you can find it, will be your best option.

Should have bought a RIO Karma but that's another issue altogether. haha Check out:

txag

Reply to
Texas Aggie

Reply to
Markeau

"Texas Aggie"

thank you so much for that link !!!! i was about to buy a 40 gig ipod to hook to my car stereo. i'm going to check to make sure the ipod mini battery is replaceable...if not. i'm buying from a different company

Reply to
S.S.I.N.

RE/

The unit on my '98 burb is on the way out and I plan on replacing it with one of the several in-dash units that accept the iPod directly.

I got the high-end FM transmitter (the white one that plugs into 12v AC) It's strong enough to overcome some FM stations in my area (the dial is about full most of the time...) but I found another problem with it: driver distraction. Somehow, operating the in-dash controls isn't that bad for me, but fiddling with the iPod while trying to drive feels downright dangerous.... So I've decided to go the in-dash route.

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

I looked into the AUX-POD from that company but they tell me, and numerous stereo installers in my area, that the 02 and 03 Trailblazer single disc unit is not compatible to anything on the market right now. Looks like im stuck until they make something. The tech at PAC told me they are not working on anything for those vehicles because the R&D cost would be too much for so few vehicles. So, I guess I cant use my IPOD in my car. SUX!!!

Reply to
bobo999

RE/

Have you tried the high-end FM unit? Can't remember the name, but it's white, about six inches long, acts as a dock/charger while in use. Works for me in the Philly area.

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

Reply to
bobo999

RE/

This is the one that's working for me:

Had to make a couple modifications.

- Removed the frequency-adjust buttons on the side, so a ballpoint pen is needed. Otherwise it was too easy to accidentally change the freq.

- Gave up on the dashboard/cig lighter mount: too much vibration. Instead I put a little velcro hook on the side and layed it on my center console, which has some pile on it.

The good:

- It puts out enough power to overwhelm some radio stations, so even if the dial is full, you can still use it.

- It doubles as a charger.

- It can be set to any FM frequency, not just 2 or 4 as with some others.

The bad:

- Driver distraction. I'm gonna have an accident if I keep fooling around with this thing while driving. It's ok if I just start a playlist and then never touch it while driving...but anything else seems really dangerous to me.

This is the reason I'm sniffing around for one of the in-dash models. Called Crutchfield on Wednesday, but they'd never heard of such a thing. There are however, at least two AM/FM/CD/iPod models out there....it's just a question of whether any of them work well enough/cost little enough for me....

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

Reply to
bobo999