How can I use all four wheels in 4x4 on my 85 chevy blazer fullsize.

The title says it all but I noticed when I was fourwheeling I only have the front drivers side and the back passenger wheel was turning. A guy told me
about something that I ass to my differential and both wheels will turn. I can't believe all the parts are there and they never hooked up all the gears? Does anybody have a history on this too?
Add pictures here
✖
Depending on the year of your truck, you can get a couple mini-lockers(one for the front and one for the rear) and install them yourself in your driveway(if your a half decent Mechanic). This will give you TRUE four wheel drive and make a TREMENDOUS difference in how far you can go before getting stuck and drastically reduce your chances of getting stuck.
Be warned though, you will have drivability issues and towing more than a lawn mower will cause problems.

Add pictures here
✖
"Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote in message

than
Do you know the name for some of these gears? Do you know what they look like and what the simplest way to get one in there?
Add pictures here
✖
"D.L. Man" wrote:

A open differentail by design will send equal torque to both wheels on a axle, it can do no other. When one wheel spins becuase it looses traction the other wheel is still recieving the same amount of torque as the spinning wheel is but less HP because HP is basically torque x RPM. The reason that the same to wheel tend to break first is because the axles wind up from engine torque (the taller the gear ratio the more noticable it is) and one tire gets a little lighter than the other from chassis torque flex and that is FL and RR. If you do it in reverse it will be the RF and LR that tends to break loose first. You can add a posi unit to rear axle if you wnat but I have been driving 4x4’s for about 30 years now and I have been some hairly places and of the 9 4x4 I have owned only one of them had posi and it did not make any really difference for my uses and the negative of it was that with posi you fishtail easier on ice and slick roads and both of my two plow trucks not not have posi for that reason.
✖

I have noticed that too. I had a rear wheel drive t-bird and it was very tense to drive in the snow.
Could I add that posi mod to just the front wheels? That way I can use the front wheels when I need them? It would be more like a front wheel drive in the snow.
Add pictures here
✖
I always hated the slip differential in the front end.

in
Add pictures here
✖
"Adam Frazier" wrote:

I agree LSD’s in front axles are not very user freindly at times and add in the fact that a front sold axles ujoint by wheels are not constant velocity when they are bent a lot and with a LSD it will make wheel whip even more in turns in 4wd. A 4x4 with a IFS front end has CV’s at wheels and does not have this problem with wheel whip in a turn. A selectable locker like some else mentioned is a good compromise it a front (or rear) axle.
✖

How about a eaton electric locker for the front, which you can turn on when you get off-road? I know they make various locker setups that work off air or electirc for the rear too...
seems like you would want at least a limited slip type rear end on a 4*4 and a selectable locker for the front if you went off road allot?
No-way would i have any type of limited-slip or locker on the front end on a truck that was street driven.
--
Elbert Clarke
elbert.clarke@**adelphia.net
: The title says it all but I noticed when I was fourwheeling I only have the : front drivers side and the back passenger wheel was turning. A guy told me : about something that I ass to my differential and both wheels will turn. I : can't believe all the parts are there and they never hooked up all the : gears? Does anybody have a history on this too? : :
Add pictures here
✖

✖
http://jeeperz.zoovy.com/category/100.500
http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/4x4posi-lok /
-Tim
Add pictures here
✖

This may be of some help... if you can handle all the stupid adds and pop ups.. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm
Add pictures here
✖
you need a limited slip differential setup for rear and front or both. you have to buy and have it installed. go to a ring and pinion site, or local parts house for details old john probably 600.00 each end

the
Add pictures here
✖
I have a Detroit in the front and rear diff of my bush truck. It is basically a tractor. It is VERY hard to steer with the front diff engaged, as it tends to want to straighten the tires under power. I can not use 4wd on pavement or any hard pack high traction surface, which doesn't matter much as it's not street legal anyways. fulltime automatic lockers like a detroit nospin are very effective but very demanding, selectable locker like ARB or the like are way more user friendly if you spend any time driving on the street. I think posi-tracs/ limited slips are better for street car performance not in a truck.

me
✖