How do I remove the drums on a 97 GMC Jimmy?

Its time to change the brakes pads on my 97 Jimmy. I figure I'll give it a try and save a few bucks. It looks as if a special tool is need to remove the hubs. Before I start beating on them, I figured I better find out first. Any online sites that show how to do a rear brake job?

Thanks, Mr Ranger

Reply to
Mr Ranger

I'm pretty sure your jimmy's drum setup's the same as all the fullsize chevys i've worked on, if so, just take off the rear wheels and you should be able to wiggle the drums off the lugs, after that, just pull the spring off and pull out the old pads.

Good luck TB

Reply to
Trailblazer

are you talking about a 2wd or a 4wd jimmy... and which hubs are your referring to? the front hub/disc or the rear drums?

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Four wheel drive, rear drums. As near as I can tell the drum and the lugs are one unit. Once I remove the wheels there is a slight bit of play and the lugs move with the drum. There is a round keeper of sorts that is middle of drum, center axle. The keeper has two raised protrusions that look like you would use a hammer and chisel to turn. The protrusions have stamped on them "S" on one and "M" on the other. I don't know if they turn or not. In any event, if they do, a special tool would be required?

Thanks, Mr Ranger

Reply to
Mr Ranger

Lugs are part of that round protrusion. That's the end of the axle itself. The drum comes off separate from the lugs and that round center. I'm going to assume you don't have the e-brake set while attempting to remove the drum. If you do, release it and the drum may pull off. What sometimes happens is that the shoes wear into the braking surface some, causing a ridge on the inside edge of the drum (the open edge once the drum is off). You'll need a tool to get in through a hole in the backing plate to back the adjuster off and be able to pull the drum.

Reply to
Mike Levy

Thanks for the help guys. As soon as the weekend company goes, I'll give the hammer and crowbar a go.

Mr Ranger

Reply to
Mr Ranger

Finally, Company gone, car race over, went to work on brakes. Removing the drums was just as described. All that was required was a little persuasion with a big hammer and a crowbar as suggested. Thanks a lot guys.

Mr Ranger

Reply to
Mr Ranger