How do I test a thermostat?

I've boiled water and checked them that way before, but is that the only way to see if a t-stat is working? Is it right that a 195 t-stat is "full-open"
at 195 degrees?
Seems to me that if this is the case that I should see a fully open thermostat in boiling water. But the one I am questioning is not fully open in boiling water, to my knowledge.
Thanks, Snowman
Just replace it and be done with it. For the cost, not worth the hassle. Cam "Snowman" <somethingorotherdotcom> wrote in message

way
"full-open"
open
Agreed. Replace it, for the $5 it'll cost you it's not worth the hassle.
| > I've boiled water and checked them that way before, but is that the only | way | > to see if a t-stat is working? Is it right that a 195 t-stat is | "full-open" | > at 195 degrees? | > | > Seems to me that if this is the case that I should see a fully open | > thermostat in boiling water. But the one I am questioning is not fully | open | > in boiling water, to my knowledge. | > | > Thanks, | > Snowman | > | > | |
Ok, so after I buy a new one that I suspect not working, I should buy another one that I may suspect not working? I wasn't asking about replacing one - I was asking about testing one.
I've boiled OEM t-stats before and aftermarket and they act completely different. OEM opens at a much higher temp where the after market one started opening a minute or so before.
Snowman
"Snowman" <somethingorotherdotcom> wrote in message

way
"full-open"
open
"Snowman" <somethingorotherdotcom> wrote in message

way
"full-open"
open
Snowman A 195 degree thermostat should begin to open at about 190 and be fully open at about 220 degrees. Don't take this as gospel, as I'm not an expert, but I did read this somewhere. It's the criteria I use and it works for me. I too always check new stats before installation because I've gotten too many defective ones off the shelf.
Dave
I usually find when boiled using a candy thermometer a 195 degree thermostat will be around half open and then fully open by 205 degree's. I always check new thermostats before I install it be I have a 4x4 Chevy van and it is a pain to get to anything. So, that is why I always check first.
Regards, Chuck 78' Chevy 1 Ton 4X4 Van