how easy is it to install ONSTAR?

I have a '03 Trailblazer LT and want to know how easy it would be to install ONSTAR. Any help would be appreciated.

Please REMOVE the REMOVE from email address when replying.

Reply to
zebramanREMOVE

I don't think it is feasible if it wasn't installed at the factory.

Jerry H.-- retired GM sales manager

Reply to
Jerry Hamilton

I've seen one of the techs at the local GM dealership doing it

he says it's a plug-in add-on, plus an antenna, plus re-flash the ECM

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Last year I asked a dealer to do it and was told it couldn't be done, so I checked around with other GM dealers and was told the same thing.

Reply to
Perry

There is absolutely no reason it can't be done.

It might not control the door locks, for example, but all the other features are simply a matter of two-way communication with the bird. Install antenna, install standalone box, you're done.

Reply to
burntkat IS AT comcast.net

Buy a cell phone and attach an extra key to your truck with a magnet. Then forget about Onstar.

-Brown

Reply to
Brown Weed

Why would you want to? I'd give you mine if I didn't have to butcher the truck. Buy a cell phone and AAA - much cheaper and GM can't spy on you while you are driving. ;-)

Reply to
Gung Ho

- never ceases to amaze me how many folks are concerned about folks spying on them....

...... then they post in archived forums and surf the web.

Reply to
burntkat IS AT comcast.net

I heard an ad today for a system like Onstar that can be installed in any vehicle. One of our local Auto Electronics places does the installation. Check in your area, maybe you have someone that can install it. BYW if you want theft protection, I'd look at LoJack (spelling?) it's supposed to be the best of its type.

Reply to
Rich B

_______

I just last week bought an 04 Silverado LS. This was one in dealer's stock, and I asked as an afterthought whether it could be retrofitted with OnStar. Was told it wasn't feasible. Of course, anything CAN be done, but the cost is probably not worth it.

Marshall

Reply to
Marshall Schuon