How many splines in my 10 bolt???

Ok... I still have an unresolved rear end issue.

The 14 bolt is of course the best option, but it's a logistical nightmare in comparison to fixing the 10 bolt. I'm not in a position to go off road a lot right now, and since this is my daily driver I'm obviously much more concerned with whether it moves or not than whether my axles will stand up to trail abuse.

After speaking to a reputable shop, it would cost about the same to install a 14 bolt (including the cost of the axle and other parts) as it would to rebuild the 10 bolt.

I know I've previously described the symptoms, here's a recap of the main points:

When I go around curves at normal driving speed the rear end pops and clicks like crazy, making grinding noises, vibrates, etc...

It has a factory locker installed (G80/GU80) with 3:08 gears (terrible)

I must switch this thing to an open carrier immediately. I've found good parts, but I don't know how many splines I have and would prefer to know before taking it apart or starting this project at all.

I know this would be a major guess on everyone's part, but in your opinions, would the axles be reuable. Is what I'm experiencing simply a problem with the crappy locker? I've seen mention of these exact symptoms when those lockers start to die.

I figure I'd replace the carrier with an open carrier, spider gears, and ring and pinion while I'm at it since the 3:08's suck big time.

I'm not looking to get 100K miles + out of this rebuild, simply looking to make it street reliable.

Thanks,

-JP

Reply to
Jon Pickens

Buy a complete rear axle and put it in. Don't screw with the 10 bolt you have. The 14 bolt rears have 6 or 8 lugs. (Some have 5 but I would not want to bank on finding one.) If your truck is a 6 lug find a LD 14 bolt if you can, if not buy a complete 10 bolt. Besides being expensive, rear end work is not easy to do correctly. I would not risk it.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Well, the concern is getting around to get all the necessary parts for the 14 bolt conversion. The one I've found is reman'd, setup with the gears and open diff I want, and ready to bolt up and drive.

But it can only be shipped to the airport, and then transporting it isn't something I could easily do.

It's an 8-lug axle, so I have to contend with getting new wheels and tires. Driving around and finding an axle and parts locally isn't something I can do. I go to a lesser grocery store because that route involves very few curves, and mild ones at that.

If I could find a 6-lug 14 bolt locally that'd be great.

What's the deal on converting one to 6 lugs? Is it just a change of the hub assembly?

Reply to
Jon Pickens

no.. the 10.5" 14 bolt is only available w/ 8 lugs. the 9.5" 14 bolt came with 5, 6 or 8 lugs (454SS, LD 2500, HD2500, respectively). while not quite as strong as the 10.5, it has an input torque rating of 5000t lbs to the 10.5's 6200ftlbs. the 10 bolt is 3800lbs (notice the 1200ftlbs difference between each.)

I'd look for the smaller 14 bolt, it'll be cheaper and you'll not have to buy wheels.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase