How much gas is actually burned in the engine?

Out of boredom I often read up on some the new-fangled gas savings devices, and usually find with research that many of them to be hoaxes, or that they simply don't perform as well as advertised.
I know the ideal air/fuel mix is 14.7:1, but is that 1 part the total gasoline intake, or total "burnable" gas? What I mean is, since vapor, *not* liquid must be burned, how much gasoline is left over after all the oxygen has been burned in the combustion chamber, even with the 14.7:1 ratio?
Many devices have been patented seeking to fully atomize the fuel before it's burned, claiming less fuel will be needed to make the same power because all of it would be in a burnable state (vapor).
If not all the gas is burnable (because the particles are too large), does that technically mean the 14.7:1 ratio is actually too rich when the fuel is atomized by a carb?
It's a slow day at work today... can ya tell?
~jp
Greetings,
Here's another interesting statistic - the total mass of emissions of a modern fuel injected automobile engine is less than 1% of the total mass of the fuel put into the motor. In fact, some ULEV vehicles are at <0.1%. Simply put, a motor converts 99+% of the fuel and wastes less than 1%. Some of the fuel is converted to waste heat and not into movement of the vehicle (there is always some energy lost to heat that doesn't translate to motion), but that still represents a very high degree of efficiency.
Thought you'd like to know - Jonathan

Don't know if it's still an applicable figure anymore, but it used to be a rule of thumb that about %30 of the energy was used to drive the wheels, the rest being lost to heat, unburnt fuel, etc etc.