How to change headlamps on '97 Silverado

I've got the dual headlamp setup, like I think all Silverados from 1997 and other years have, and I've never been happy with the amount of light on the road at night. My friend's Ford Explorer puts out more light on 'dim' than my Chevy does on 'bright'. I bought some extra bright lamps for mine to replace the low beam lamps with but for the life of me can't figure out how to change out the lamps! They are buried behind stuff and cannot be accessed by just opening the hood. My Chilton's (or Hane's?) manual has big arrows pointing to a couple of screws (bolts?) near the fender well on either side and then describes (no pictures) how you remove these and hinge the grill assembly forward to get to the lamps ...yuh huh. All I can find are what look like the adjusters for aiming the headlamps.

Anybody care to share how to change the headlights out? My mechanic, the parts store guy, and the service guy at the local Chevy dealer were all clueless ..."I dunno, maybe try to get the grill off and look around???" Small-town-itis...

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
Brian D

there should be 4. 7mm bolts that hold the grill to the core support and one bolt by the chevrolet emblem and then youshould be able to pull the grill out far enought to get at the 10 mm bolts that hold the headlight to the core support

Reply to
86aerocoup

The two screws that look like headlight adjusters are what you want to remove, they require a 5mm nutdriver or socket. Then pull the headlight capsule out to replace bulbs.

Reply to
WBucha

Are you saying that the elongated looking ones down in the hole are NOT for aligning the headlamps too?

Thanks Brian

Reply to
Brian D

I am talking about the ones that are sticking up just above the grille and have a hex end on them

Reply to
WBucha

Reply to
Elbert

What I have also done with mine that worked good was just to install a relay to supply power to the low beam bulbs when the highs go on.

Also, reading the other posts, the 2 "bolts" (per side) you wish to remove are the plain metric hex (black) that are visible with the hood open. The one right by the fender and the other poking out the top of the plastic wraparound of the grill. The golden tamper proof torx are the adjusters.

Reply to
Chevguy