How to drive in 4 wheel drive.

______

Ah, it takes me back. Used to do that in snow in the Fairgrounds parking lot. Was fun to drive on the slippy stuff, lock the wheels, shift into reverse and flatten the pedal. Car would just spin and spin!

All of which reminds me (and this is sorta off topic), but one of my fonder memories was that time sitting in front of the Ritz Barbeque in the Allentown, Pa., Fairgrounds one night -- as we often did in the '50s; it was our hangout -- and watching ....

Well, my buddies and I watched as one of the local jerks tried to impress his girl by driving in faster and faster and ever-widening circles in that huge fairgrounds parking lot behind us.

He was having just a wonderful time, around and around -- until he came to a loud and shockingly abrupt stop against a telephone pole! I don't think anyone was seriously hurt, but his new '53 Oldsmobile and his ego sure were! We loved it!

Marshall

Reply to
Marshall Schuon

I've been looking for a place to take my daughter so she can get a taste of "you're broken loose and there's not a damn thing you can do but hang on", before she gets it on the road. And the turkeys that build the parking lots keep putting light pole in 'em! Somewhere out there there's a big open space...

Reply to
Cricket

My sister in law learned how to drive in a old Chevy farm truck, in a big open field and many acres with just one tree out in the middle of it. Yep she ran into the tree straight on.

Reply to
fletcher

Better a tree than a cow... at least the tree is usefull as firewood, and doesn't need a vet...

rhys

Reply to
rnf2

I know a guy who missed a stop at a T intersection - the crossroad ran for better than half a mile along a hayfield - one small tree along the road - he had to skid a good fifty feet off to the right to hit it - but he did. We all had to drive down there and look at it - none of us could remember a tree close enough to hit from the intersection. Once we got there and got a look - yep, there was no tree close enough to hit from the intersection, unless you really really worked at it. Evidently he did. Took him a while to live that one down. Especially since he was driving a friends truck since he'd decided she was a little too buzzed to drive...;>)

Reply to
Cricket

When shifting better you shift to neutral first and then shift. no need to use 4 whl drive on pvmnt any way you bought an xpnsiv toy there why do people buy 4 whl drives????.

Reply to
jimbo

When we take off for those summer camping trips, I always get this weird noise from the passenger seat saying something like "We're not going on those bumpy roads again, are we?

Of course not..hee hee

Reply to
ken

How about a driving school with a skid pan? If I had a kid learning to drive I'd invest in that for them. Let a pro give the training and defensive driving education.

Hell, I'd like to take one myself.

Cricket wrote:

Reply to
jhultman

_______

I took the Skip Barber course at Lime Rock, Conn., some years back. They have a slippery pad that they flood with water, and it is just like driving on ice. Also, going way back, I took the old Renault Ice Racing School at Steamboat Springs in Colorado. That was super!

Bertl Roos also runs an interesting school here in the Poconos in Pa. with a "skid car" that has been converted to replicate skids.

Marshall ________

Reply to
Marshall Schuon