How to drive in 4 wheel drive.

Page 2 of 2

Better a tree than a cow... at least the tree is usefull as firewood, and doesn't need a vet...
rhys

How about a driving school with a skid pan? If I had a kid learning to drive I'd invest in that for them. Let a pro give the training and defensive driving education.
Hell, I'd like to take one myself.
Cricket wrote:

I took the Skip Barber course at Lime Rock, Conn., some years back. They have a slippery pad that they flood with water, and it is just like driving on ice. Also, going way back, I took the old Renault Ice Racing School at Steamboat Springs in Colorado. That was super!
Bertl Roos also runs an interesting school here in the Poconos in Pa. with a "skid car" that has been converted to replicate skids.
Marshall ________

Make sure you put it in 4x4 at least once a month to keep everything lubed up front!
My 1988 chevy 1/2 ton 4X4 305 is my first 4wd vehicle and I'm a little fuzzy about when to use 4wd and how to shift.
I read the thread about "4 wheel drive info needed" but I don't know how much of that applies to my truck since I don't have "shift button".
I can usually get it into and out of 4h or 4l, but my main question is when to use 4wd. I bought it from a high shool kid who said that you should never use 4wd on dry pavement (maybe not even wet pavement). I can see why because when I try to turn very sharply on dry pavement I get this "hopping" effect, like the differential in front isn't working (if there is one there). Is this rule correct?
I'm in the Seattle area where we have some snow now. The residential streets are snowy and icey, but the bigger the street, the more likely it is to be clear. Some streets are bare in places and icey in places, making it impossible to only use 4wd on the icey patches. When should I shift? Does it damage the 4wd to shift in and out too much or to shift on the fly? How much should I slow down to shift into 4wd, or should I slow down at all? Is there a web site?
Thanks for your input!!!
Dan
"Jimminee" wrote

Why?
Ian

on a 88-98 K truck, the driver's side axle is always connected to the diff, spinning the spiders and stirring things up. it's not like the older manual hub trucks.
-Bret

When shifting better you shift to neutral first and then shift. no need to use 4 whl drive on pvmnt any way you bought an xpnsiv toy there why do people buy 4 whl drives????.
When we take off for those summer camping trips, I always get this weird noise from the passenger seat saying something like "We're not going on those bumpy roads again, are we?
Of course not..hee hee