How to fix yoke/spline clunk on stop/start by myself... pls help???

2000 Silv XCab Z71

I have the usual clunk on stopping and starting. It even had the nickel-plated yoke installed to no avail.

Out of warranty now, I'm stuck paying for it myself.

I might try it myself, and I might take it to a local garage. Can anyone give me detailed instructions (possibly pics by email?) on how to do this? These instructions will either be for me to do it or to make sure the local garage knows exactly how to fix it.

e.g. What type of lubrication? What to watch for... how to make it last the longest... etc.

Also,

Does anyone know how to fix the squeaking steering wheel boot?

Again I'm going to have to do this all myself, so I'm looking for good instructions for me or a local mech. NOT a stealer.

Reply to
~~AAJakeleg

Ahh, see all those fancy good idea fixes dont last.

The yoke has a binding problem, GM adds teflon to the 'blue' atf fluid to cure the problem and as a additive for the late model txfrcases.

Try adding 'TuffOil' to the txfrcase. $9 , follow the instructions (1oz per Quart or some thing like that). Should stop the thumps in 50 or so miles.

Its been working for me for the last 4 years. Never had grease anything, and probably never will.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

I have read about this problem before. But I have a question for others - would this apply to a 1990 GMC Jimmy? Feels like it's doing the same thing :-)

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

It applies to pretty much every 87' and later GM FS truck. Yank the rear driveshaft, slap some grease in the yoke, and she'll be quiet for 6-12 months depending on the type of grease.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I thought it was just this, that's why I haven't been worried about it.

~TLGM/KJ

Reply to
Lonely G-Monkey

Reply to