How to fix yoke/spline clunk on stop/start by myself... pls help???

2000 Silv XCab Z71
I have the usual clunk on stopping and starting. It even had the nickel-plated yoke installed to no avail.
Out of warranty now, I'm stuck paying for it myself.
I might try it myself, and I might take it to a local garage. Can anyone give me detailed instructions (possibly pics by email?) on how to do this? These instructions will either be for me to do it or to make sure the local garage knows exactly how to fix it.
e.g. What type of lubrication? What to watch for... how to make it last the longest... etc.
Also,
Does anyone know how to fix the squeaking steering wheel boot?
Again I'm going to have to do this all myself, so I'm looking for good instructions for me or a local mech. NOT a stealer.
Ahh, see all those fancy good idea fixes dont last.
The yoke has a binding problem, GM adds teflon to the 'blue' atf fluid to cure the problem and as a additive for the late model txfrcases.
Try adding 'TuffOil' to the txfrcase. $9 , follow the instructions (1oz per Quart or some thing like that). Should stop the thumps in 50 or so miles.
Its been working for me for the last 4 years. Never had grease anything, and probably never will.
Cheers

I have read about this problem before. But I have a question for others - would this apply to a 1990 GMC Jimmy? Feels like it's doing the same thing :-)
~KJ/TLGM

I thought it was just this, that's why I haven't been worried about it.
~TLGM/KJ
"99 Z71, and have had the problem since new, dealer changed transfer case fluid and it took care of problem for awhile, but it came back, tried greasing splines with Mobil 1 and no good results, Changed transfer case fluid again using the AutoTrack (blue) fluid from GM and it's taken care of the clunk for now , but rest assure, it'll come back , usually in 6-9 months.