How to get more power from 5.7 litre?

I have a 1998 GMC Sierra Z71 and was wondering what I could do to get slightly more power from the engine. The engine has about 70,000 miles on it and it has been maintained very well. I am experiencing a rough idle a slight lack of power and quite a noisey fuel pump. I purchased a set of Delco Platinum plugs but haven't put them in yet. What else should I change on this truck for a performance oriented tune-up?

Thanks in advance,

Blair

Reply to
Blair Chesterton

MORE POWER?

Drop in a 454!

Reply to
ken

Greetings,

All the standard tune-up stuff should be a good place to start, including a new fuel filter. If you think you are having problems with your fuel pump, put a pressure guage put on it to see if it is delivering the required pressure. If it is not, then maybe a replacement would be in order. I would also consider new plug wires, air filter, pcv valve, etc. as well as cleaning out the EGR valve and passages.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Why stop there???? I'd go with the monster 502 and Git-R-Done.............!!!!!

Reply to
Old Hippy

Blair,

there are a number of ways to get more power. Most of the time it boils down to how much money you want to spend and how wild do you want to go.

Changing the ECM pron or having it re-programmed, installing headers, installing true dual exhaust with free flowing mufflers, installing a higer flow air fillter and air fitler housing are some of the easy choices.

another issue is what state you live in and what you are allowed to do to your truck.and of course how mechanically inclined you are.

think through what you want to do and ask around to see if anyone you know has done something similar. Installing headers and getting them to seal can be a pain in the ass, but I think most people would agree they offer some degree of "Free Power", you have to pay attention on your power sterring set up, as far as the brackets are concerned and how they attach to the exhaust manifold.

I think there are a couple of companies that make "cold-air" intakes for your year model truck, and I know there are various places that sell different style exhaust systems. Plus I'm sure there are one or two who make either a ECM programmer or new chip... for the ECM.

There are a number of other things you might do, but they'll cost some more $$ and a good bit more effort.

Reply to
Elbert

I would go thru this for you, but it would get rather long. - An increase in compression will make more power - and an increase in intake efficiency (bigger valves or more valve lift) also will contribute quite a few horses. You might want to change the camshaft, but dont get carried away - a good street and strip type of cam is more than sufficient here. Too far on the cam, and the thing is a dog at any kind of legal speeds. Remember, changing cam profiles simply moves the power around in the rpm range - and you would not want a vehicle that you have to rev up to 6 grand every time you want to push some snow or pull a trailer ! More lift, rather than duration, is a good plan to follow on street trucks and cars, since it won't have these problems anywhere near as much. But the "more lift" on the valves has its limits as well. you dont want the piston "kissing a valve"..... and valve springs for really high lifts get pretty esoteric, as you need a lot more spring to control these high lift jobbies. I wont go into great detail here on this, since it is a science of long ago that is rather involved...

Aftermarket intake and exhaust manifolds can give quite a few ponies as well - but this game gets expensive in a hurry. Anyway, these are the basic "paths to power" on an un-supercharged motor. You might want to consider a supercharger, since it is actually the right way of souping up a 4-stroke piston motor, with very little modification to the innards of the motor... And the cost is comparable to going thru all this normally-aspirated machine work and aggravation. It all depends on how much you love to tinker, get grease under your fingernails, etc, just to step on that pedal. listen to her "talk" to you, and get a good neck snap when you DO step on her.... Only one question - do you want it bad enough to work for it ?

Reply to
Zombie Wolf

Changing the ECM or reprogramming it will have no adverse effect in performance, unless its a diesel engine.

Reply to
Adam Frazier

I have to clear this up. I want a performance oriented tune up, not a hot rod. I was wondering along the lines of coil packs etc.

Thanks for the response guys,

Blair

Reply to
Blair Chesterton

New plugs, wires, cap,rotor, new air filter, fuel filter, run some top engine cleaner through it, check the injectors for flow and pattern after cleaning them, change the O2 sensor(s), synthetic oil change (for trans,engine,rear end,transfer case)

Reply to
Steve W.