how to turn of DRLs?

Hey all;
I just bought a 99 model Z71 (new body style) and the headlights are always on. anyway to turn them off? is there a DRL fuse or something i could take
out? Also, when i reach 25-30 MPH, it locks the doors, when i turn it off the doors stay locked. is there any way to stop it from locking or how to make it unlock when the truck is turned off?
thanks
TB

i know if your parked and use the emergency brake it will shut off the driving lights.....you may have to restart it after you engage it.

Damn pain in the ass about the door locks tho. Wife's machine locks em when you put it in gear, and like yours they stay locked. Still it might save a car jacking. I suppose that is why they do it.
--
Dave
'87 Chevy Pickup... (nice)

Info - Disabling Automatic (Rolling) Door Lock Featur #99-08-64-003 Disabling Automatic (Rolling) Door Lock Feature (Service Procedure to Recalibrate Body Control Module) 1999 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Models (Silverado and Sierra)
Some owners of the above vehicles may request to have the Automatic (Rolling) Door Lock feature disabled (turned off).
You can disable the Automatic (Rolling) Door Lock feature by recalibrating the Body Control Module (BCM). Use the following procedure:
Connect the Tech 2 to the vehicle. Select Service Programming from the Tech 2 main menu screen. Identify the vehicle (year, type, fuel system). Select Request Information (left soft key). Select Reprogram Existing Module. Verify the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). Disconnect the Tech 2 from the vehicle. Connect the Tech 2 to the Techline Terminal. Follow the terminal instructions. Select Service Programming System from the main menu. Select Terminal to Tech 2 as the programming method. Select Program Truck Body Controller. Select Calibration with Automatic Door Lock Functionality Disabled. When the action is complete, disconnect the Tech 2 from the terminal. Connect the Tech 2 to the vehicle again. Select Service Programming from the Tech 2. Complete the vehicle ID. Select the Program soft key (second from the left). When the Programming Successful screen appears, press the Exit key. Disconnect the Tech 2. Road test the vehicle in order to confirm that the recalibration was successful

seen this! I was really proud of the gizmo I bought that unlocks the doors when you put the truck in park. Who would've thunk it? As simple as reprogram the bcm?? No shit!

The light thing has been discussed here a thousand times.
As for the locks, have you looked in your owners manual? Don't know about the 99 but I know others are programmable.
99's are not programmable :-(

First, if your headlights are on "all" the time, you probably have something covering the sensor. Its a little thing near the center of the dash - towards the passenger side. There is no way to change it. If its daytime, the DRL's are on, and if its dark, the headlights are on. I bought an aftermarket gizmo that put a switch in my dash right next to the airbag lock. It turns off the auto headlight sensor so now my headlight switch works. The door locks are not programmable on the 99 models. I rigged mine to unlock when I put the truck in park. My headlights have all four on when in high beam mode. My fog lights are on with the low beams. The company I bought these things from is out of business - I think it was just a guy selling from his garage. You will get a bunch of responses about DRL's and auto headlights. If you don't want DRL's, remove the bulbs. Notice they are off when the truck is in park. Your headlights are on if the key is on and its dark enough outside.

I'm just curious, Why does everyone want to turn off their DRLs? I never see the DRLs on my truck because I'm always inside driving, so they don't bother me.

I know I've been lookin for a way also. I just like the look of a vehicle with just the running light on and maybe driving lights. I would like to set in my truck (on the set) without the "BRAKE" light glowing at me because I wanted the DLR's off!.
I think the DLR's are kinda dull looking too. If I have to keep them, can I replace the bulbs with bright white bulbs?
Second question, were can I find a replacement grill frame? My frame has the white spots were the hood drains (above the headlight.)
Tanks S-10ers
On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 23:45:17 -0600, "Williams"

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 02:51:29 -0500, John Q Public

Some people are replacing the bulbs with amber ones. Your DRLs don't go off when the truck is in Park?

The OP has a 99 full size. I think the s-10 still uses a reduced high beam as its DRL. They might stay on when the truck is in park. The full size uses a 4157 - the same intensity as a turn signal bulb. I changed mine to amber.

My neighbor has a 2002 (I think) Sierra, his go off when the truck is in park, he found it VERY difficult to figure out which DRL was burned out. Yeah, most S-10s use reduced-intensity high beams, the ZR2s (like mine) use full-power low beam...

My 97 S-10 DLR's don't go off till either I hit the Emerg Brake or turn on the headlights. Amber sounds cool! I'll have to check the bulbs.
TANKS! JQP

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 19:58:14 -0500, John Q Public

Can't, your truck uses the headlights as DRLs, need the clear lights there...

Just hit your dome light button 3 times, it turns them off.

Not on his 97! This will ONLY work on 2000 and newer...