How to view the engine timing?

I have a 1985 Southwind with a 454 and I can't even get to the front of the engine without spending half a day removing covers.
Is there any other way to check the timing?

No...............,but you could hook up a vacuum guage and adjust the timing for highest vacuum. Being a '85 model the timing chain is most likely stretched and loose so using a light would not give give a accurate reading of the timing anyway. Use the vacuum guage then test drive vehicle and listen for preignition, then retard as necessary until optimum results are achieved. Optimal timing will be a compromise unless you wanna replace the chain and gears.
--
Mad Dog