How to you loosen a stuborn piston ring?

It is rusted or locked in the closed position and I have tried WD-40 I am going to try penetrating oil here in a minute. I was wonder is there something else I could try? Its the top ring the other 2 came out like a
charm.

-------
Fire.... heat it up lightly with a little propane bottle
HDS
"D.L. Man" wrote:

like
Penetrating oil is the best thing I have found so far. And since youve used it already, Im going to assume you have it out now.
in message

No the penetrating oil didn't work. It must have been really rusted. I did have another piston that I had with the core. I slid it off the old crank and on to the new engine.
D.L. Man wrote:

Hopefully you changed the ROD
Did u try lightly tapping on the ring to FREE it up
if its rusted than the pistin is pitted and NO GOOD

I hope they are really close to the same weight or your going to have some real vibration issues. If that piston is on the heavy side it will probably take out the crank in short order. That ring is NOT rusted in, it is packed with carbon and that is causing it to stick in the piston. If the rings are that bad I hope you also replaced them all, If not don't bother finishing that engine, it will drink oil and probably have such bad compression it may not even start.
To get that ring out there is an easy way. Find the ring gap, then use a small punch and tap on one side of the gap, you want to push one side in just enough to get at the tip of the other side. Then tap on the other side like you are trying to spin the ring, this should either break the ring loose OR break the ring itself. Then just keep breaking out pieces till the ring groove is open, then use a small piece of the broken ring to scrape the rest of the crud and carbon out of the groove. DO NOT REMOVE METAL FROM THE PISTON. Just remove the crud. Clean ALL the ring grooves like this and then wash down the pistons with clean solvent and install the new rings.
--
Steve

"D.L. Man" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.net> wrote in message
Try an old crock pot with antifreeze, let it slow cook, I've had some pretty carboned up parts come out like new.
Try an old crock pot with antifreeze, let it slow cook, I've had some pretty carboned up parts come out like new.