hub lock question

I'm getting ready to replace my hub locks and have a set of Warn premiums for my 89 k5. There has been a ratcheting sound coming from them. I'm wondering if the last mechanic to tighten the axle nut, had them too tight
or too loose possibly causing the failure. The hubs feel very hot, but a mechanic told me the bearings get up to 400 degrees. I'd appreciate comments and suggestions from the experienced. Thanks all...
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 13:05:15 -0400, "Black Dog"

It is kinda difficult to gage true bearing temp because the brake rotor generally provides most of the heat up there. The bearing hub itself should never be so warm as to not be able to touch it if you drive for a long while (highway cruise) and use brakes very little. If hub is so hot that it cannot be touched and brakes have ben used little, bearings are too tight or lack proper lube. I actually had a bearing sieze on my once over 30 years ago on a recently aquired 4x4. It seem past owner set bearing too tight. Ever since then I check/feel my hubs/bearing on solid axle 4x4's from time to time. (I even do it on trailer axles too) BTW, 400 degrees it way to hot for "normal" operation. . ----------------- TheSnoMan.com