I think my fuel pump is faulty on my 2001 Safari

I live on a noisy road, so I could not hear if the fuel pump is working. I checked the fuse. I loosened off my the line to the fuel filter to see if there is pressure and there is none. When I turned the key to the run position to see if the loosened line would squirt gas, no gas came out. Before dropping my tank I am wondering if there is any thing I am missing.

Reply to
Stevel

I think the pump shuts off if there is no backpressure..

Shuts down for a BROKEN fuel line to keep a fire from starting

Reply to
Santa

Nope.

Nope again.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

One thing you might look at is the auto shut-off. It is designed to shut the fuel pump off after a collision is detected. The reset is usually in ht trunk, but in a van I guess you would find it somewhere near the back of the passenger compartment. Just a guess... I am sure if someone has further insight they will share it.

Reply to
Dirty White Boy

If the fuel pump relay is bad there will be no squirt when the key is turned on. when running it (the fuel pump) shuts down when there is no oil pressure which results from a stalled engine when a fuel line breaks. the oil pressure switch serves as back up to the relay so if you crank it for a few seconds and still no fuel then yes possible bad fuel pump.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

You've been breathing ford fumes to long, and are confusing quality GM products with found on road dead gear. Ford uses the inertia switch. Gm uses the oil pressure switch. Inertia switch is usually in the front passenger kick panel area on pick ups and vans. They know the system is flacky and cargo sliding around the bed or cargo area would trip it all the time. Its in the trunk next to the filler neck on sedans

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Now I just KNEW there would be something wrong with my advice... I do own one '94 Ford T-bird. 178,000 miles and counting. 2 Chevy trucks though...

Reply to
Dirty White Boy

"nope9" wrote: > "Whitelightning" wrote in > message > news:oHTQd.29138$wc.24612@trnddc07... > >

Thanks for the help. I put the ignition on run, but I did not turn it over. After reading your ideas, I realized I needed to turn the engine over and gas came out. Back to diagnosing why it won?t start!

Reply to
Stevel

I had similar problems on my 2000 Chevy C2500 this week, The fuel pump would not come on. It was running when I dropped it off at a car wash/ oil change place. I ask them to change the oil and fuel filter. I left to go to the dentist next door to get a root canal. When I returned, they stated they changed the fuel filter and oil and now the truck won't start. The pump would not even come on.

I checked the truck and could not found anything that was obviously bad such as fuel pump relay or bad ground to pump. I then had the truck towed to my house. My wife worked for a car dealership (not Chevy but a competitor). One of their mechanics does sideline work. He lifted my bed out of the way and we jumped the fuel pump out by running a wire directly to the battery. Fuel pump did not respond changed the pump out. Pump now kicks on when you turn the key but truck would not start.

He then looked at the crankshaft sensor. While he was checking it, we kept turning the key on and off without starting the vehicle. The sensor was good. He then located the problem in the ignition switch. Going to get the part tomorrow.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge