IAT Sensor???

I have a 1994 GMC K1500 4WD with a 350 and TBI. I was trying to locate the IAT sensor on this motor to attempt a resistor mod to see how it would affect performance. However, from what I've read in the repair manuals and
seen in the schematics, I don't think this year/model uses an IAT or MAT sensor. Additionally, the "books" say it was on '96 and later model GMC's. Can you, the experts, confirm this info? Please email me direct and snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Andy

No IAT or MAT on the TBI trucks. 96' and later were MPFI MAF based systems and do have an IAT located just aft of the airbox.
Doc

Thanks Doc. Appreciate the quick turn on the question. Andy

Another question.....is there anything that one can do on the aforementioned engine /vehicle to improve the performance without spending alot of $$? I was considering headers, cold air intake system, and/or a performance chip like the Hypertech chip. Any thoughts or advice from the groups as well as actual mods that have been done on your vehicle would be appreciated. Thanks. Andy

Doc, whatta think of this? http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbrG55&prmenbr61 (cut and paste if it wraps)

Never used one (I use open-element style air cleaners) but the idea is sound. For $24.99 is it sucks you could always return it.
Doc
Doc says

What would think would be better, an open element sucking in hot under hood air or the cold air tube to the fender?

Ya know, they're probably both about the same. The open element sucks in more air but it's less dense, cold air systems typically suck less air that is more dense, so the available 02 is probably pretty darn close. Besides, at anything over 35 mph it's cool enough under the hood IMO.
Doc

esp if you remove the rubber fender liners.. lots of airflow then.
-Bret
On 27 Jul 2004 01:53:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (William) wrote:

those came stock on trucks with a 305 in them (both my dad's '90 C2500 and my bro's '93 C1500 had them) . my '88k2500 w/ a 350 had the intake muffler on it. you can do the exact same thing with a 12" piece of 4" STR35 drain pipe and some black spray paint.. total cost, 5 bucks. that how I run my '88 K2500.
hth, Bret
That's why he's the Doc:
And we're not!
Where the hell have you been hiding for the past few days Doc?
Refinish King

Maybe some babe would have liked it?
Then we would have read about you on the news!
Doc, gets decocked, by Mrs. Doc!
Welcome back!
Refinish King

Thanks bud!