ifs to soild axle

how do you convert an ifs to a soild axle front end I have a 94 chevy half ton. Thank you for any help Daniel

why would you want a dirty, soild axle in your truck? ;-)
There are kits to be had to convert to "solid" front axle, but think twice before doing it - you lose suspension articulation, and I'd imagine it's not as easy a beast to control.
Jeremy

Don't eat that, Elmer- it's bullshit.
You GAIN articulation with a solid axle setup. Just ask anyone who's ever ACTUALLY wheeled their vehicle.
I am about to start the solid front axle swap on my 89 S-10 Blazer 4X4. OP, feel free to contact me for some links. A google for your vehicle and "SAS" or "solid axle swap" ought to prove enlightening.
You will have to do some welding, most likely, and I suggest plenty of research before you cut anything at all. I've been researching for 3 years <want to make sure I build it right, and was out of work last year>.
Soon as I get my Jeep running properly, the Blazer's IFS is going in the trash!

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 04:20:40 +0000, Jeremy Chavers wrote:

Ever heard what a broken half-shaft sounds like going around a corner? Or what it feels like to corner with a broken half-shaft?

IFS is nice for light, and infrequent offroading. When I get the "change", I will get a solid axle for the front. I want a 12-bolt rear so I can goto disc brakes.
My "toy" is a '88 K1500 Silverado 4x4, 350 TBI with some GY MTR's. I got more tires than I do truck... lol

inline...

lot's of clanging and banging.... grease EVERYWHERE.. I didn't notice any handling difference.

there's no comparison on articulation on IFS vs. solid, solid wins hands down. I've toyed with swapping in a solid axle on my '88 K2500, but cost is an issue. I wouldn't waste my time on a 12 bolt. they're only marginally stronger than a 10 bolt and have a smaller diameter pinion stem. you can get any of the 3 14 bolts w/ disk brakes if you look hard enough. a 10.5 14 bolt would be more or less bulletproof in a 1/2 ton.

've got a '88 K2500 350TBI with BFG AT K/O's I wouln't call it more tire than truck... i'd call it just right!
-Bret
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 09:23:28 -0400, Bret Chase wrote:

You must've broke yours in a different place. I got a nasty "limp/lurch" with the "crunch and bang" while turning the corner.

lol... Like I said, IFS is nice for light, and infrequent offroading. Cousin has some axles, but I haven't gone down to take a look. I prolly won't do anything with it, but I do think about it. Not like I am going to get a ARB or OX in that IFS... lol I should just get a jeep, and leave the truck alone. Or I could say heck with it, and take it to Randy's Offroad in Everett.

Yeah, I could've gone with the BFG AT's, since the GY MTR's are more than I really need. But I got 10% discount on a good price at the time from Wal-Mart. They do work great in snow & sand @ Ocean Shores.
http://hickory.engr.utk.edu/~gpowell/22.html
Here's what one guy has done. I got it from one of the S-10 boards.
Guess what my former vehicle was before I got the S-10 Blazer, 1968 F*** Bronco, I parked it because the frame rusted in half. I'm half way there, now just to get the hangers and such.
RJ in WV

I was actually considering doing this with my '93 Silverado until I did some serious research into the cost. You're actually better off finding an older (70-73) Blazer or Pickup to use as an exclusive off-road machine. You can buy a decent used Blazer for less than the IFS conversion will cost you. Just keep your newer truck for daily use and have a beast for the weekend...
-Derek

If a solid axle sucks that bad then explain to me how all the older chevs and ferds and dodges survived getting the ever livin crap beat out of them. I would much rather have a solid up from than ifs.