Ignition lock on 88 S-10 Blazer

Need some suggestions here.I lost my keys and I know I have to remove the steering wheel.I've changed locks on cars before,so there's no problem there.But I've always had the key to turn the switch to on position.Once I get to the screw holding the cylinder in,can I drill the switch as to make it turn,or is there another way of doing this?Thanks for any suggestions. Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

If its worn enough another similar key will turn the tumbler.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

When I had the same problem in my 69 I drilled it and that took care of not having the key.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

That was helpful about drilling it out.I got the new lock cylinder yesterday.I'll probably start on it monday.i'll let you know how it goes.Thanks for the help!

Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

Thanks guys for the help.After taking the steering wheel off and the other few things out,I just took the screw out that holds the lock cylinder in.The thing just pulled out without drilling.The little spring clip that holds the spring plate in was the hardest to get out,and I had the plate compressor tool.Need some kinda tool to open the spring clip to slide it off the steering post.Thanks Again!

Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

I've always wondered... do they make a TOOL specifically for that clip???????? I've learned in the past to get under it with a sharp pick tool, then a small flat tip screwdriver. Then, pry it "up the shaft" vs. trying to pry it open. That clip can be the most difficult part of the job until you get the knack of it. Well, unless you are going deeper for the loose tilt mechanism syndrome... ; )

Reply to
In2hoppn

Yes there is a flat spring steel tool that pushes the clip out of the groove. I tried one and found that a curved hook worked better!

Reply to
Steve W.