ignition switch

I need to replace the ignition switch on my 2003 Trailblazer. How do I remove the airbag? I see there are two holes on the sides of the steering wheel to remove the clips on the air bag but I'm not too sure about rutting around in there. Any help?

Reply to
Jeff W via CarKB.com

Greetings,

Sorry but I can't give you specific instructions on removing the airbag or replacing the ignition switch, but I can give you the basic warning that everyone should understand and heed.

Do not under ANY circumstances work on your airbag without disconnecting your battery and waiting at least 30 minutes for any internal charge to dissapate. This is, of course, by no means a guarantee that it will still be safe to work on, but it is the absolute most basic precaution that you need to take. Airbags can deploy with and unbelievable amount of force, and if you are in the path of a deploying airbag (quoting the warning label) "death or serious injury could result". It's like trying to work on a loaded gun.

If you are going into this project with only novice-level skills and information and no specific instructions, then your best bet is to have this work done by a qualified mechanic with the appropriate knowledge and tools. To the best of my knowledge there are also some specialty tools required to remove the components you need to and then remove the ignition switch.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

First Gen Air Bags Deploy at 200 to 220 MPH. The Current Generation of "Safer" Bags deploy at Between 150 to 160 MPH. These Figures come from a tour I took at the former Delphi Airbag lab that used to be in Vandelia Ohio.

Most cars built after 1996 have a wire in the dash that can be disconnected. This is for servicing the Air Bag area. Basically it leaves it grounded, yet with no positive charge to cause deployment. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig