installed an Edelbrock 10" air cleaner.. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!

today I took my B-day money and picked up a 10" Edelbrock air cleaner.. the 14" has too deep of a dish to work on my '88 K2500, TBI350. I took it and found the biggest 10" air filter the store had (Fram CA126.. I think, about 4" tall). I removed the PCV spacer on the throttlebody and set the air cleaner base directly on the TB itself. the injectors were finally where they should be... in the air cleaner, not shrouded by the PCV spacer. I ran the truck after.. holy shit what a difference! I'd have never thought it would have made that much of a difference!.

I've got pics on my livejournal

I'm now plotting my next move... I'm thinking either the Flowtech afterburner headers, Y pipe and new honeycomb cat (still have the original monolithic), or an Edelbrock TBI intake and 1.6 rockers.

I'm not currently running any muffler. The truck sounds awesome, and isn't really that loud at all, I'd say the restrictive monolithic cat is quieting it down alot

new heads are out of the question as I can't afford either new Vortec heads with the GMPP TBI intake or junkyard Centerbolt TPI corvette heads.

any thoughts?

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Bret,

That's the exact same air cleaner I've been running for 4 years on my 88' C1500 and I'd never go back to a closed-element factory aircleaner again. There is one drawback.................you'll be changing air filters every time you chain oil! They get dirty pretty fast.............

Exhaust is next for me as well. Hooker has a nice set of super comp headers and true duals (pre-bent) for under $400 for the set (including turbo mufflers). I can give ya part numbers if interested.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

So what's the problem? If they flow a lot of air but stop most of the dirt it sounds like a win, win situation. Beats the hell out of K&Ns crap which flows well but doesn't stop anything smaller than a rat turd from getting in the engine. Air filters are cheaper than engines Bob

Reply to
Bob

stop smoking crack

it makes MORE NOISE its not one bit faster

Reply to
I'm Right

well I'm not going to argue with you about it. it's no more noisy than the factory air cleaner, except at throttle tip in.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

are you using that tiny 2" tall filter or did you get a taller one like I did?

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I got a 4" element like you have..................Purolator Filter, can get the P/N if you'd like.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Uh huh, tell that to my rear tires, which wouldn't lite up with the facotry airbox, but will lite up on command with the Edlebrock unit and huge filter.

Doc

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Reply to
"Doc"

got a similar truck 92 version k1500 350 TBI

what did you do with the pvc plumbing?

is the 10" the largest in diameter that will fit on that style engine?

also saw you guages on your web site moutned on the A-pillar... what did you use to adhere the pod mount to the a-pillar?

Thanks, Elbert

Reply to
Elbert

the Fram CA192 I'm using is only 3.5" tall..... it interchanges to a Purolator A30067... is that what you're using? I'd like to find one that is truly 4" tall, but I was pressed for time when I was at the parts store.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I'd have to agree somewhat with "I'm Right"... a non-high performance vehicle might gain about 5hp from a change in an air filter alone. There is just no way for anyone to feel an increase of 5hp. On the same note, my truck runs _much_ better just after having been washed and wax. Go figure.

At best, a vehicle migth gain 15hp but this is only in the highest of performance stock vehicles. Even then, it's rare.

Reply to
Todd Copeland

on the bottom of the Edelbrock air cleaner there is a port for a PCV breather hose. I removed the spacer ring and ran a 1/2" hose from that port to a shortened section of the factory hard pipe to the grommet in the valve cover. I'm planning on getting the Edelbrock #4410 breather with nipple to replace the black plastic hard pipe. on my LJ, in the picture of the base, the port is directly under my thumb.

yes and no...

if you can find a 14" air cleaner with a flat bottom, it'll fit.

it's an autometer gauge cage that comes with 4 plastic fasteners that you drill holes for and push them in.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

You might want to check out CFM Technologies; they have some excellent products. I have the injector tower spacer installed on my 1990 350ci Suburban and I can honestly say that it works as advertised. I also installed the spacer on my son-in-law's tired old 1987 Suburban 350 and you could even feel the difference on it. All it does is raise the injectors up higher in the TBI, which increases air flow and widens the spray pattern.

Rich B

I've had their website bookmarked for a long time. IMHO, by unshrouding the injectors w/ the edelbrock air filter, I accomplished the same thing as the injector spacer, if not better.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Ok I figured as much on the pvc plumbing...

I believe what we use to call plastic rivits would work on what you are talking about on the guage pod.

I don't care for the OEM PVC air cleaner extension either

I'm a fan of the old style "hot-rod" type air clearners but they do pull in all the hot underhood air. I think the factory setup that pulls air from the RH fender well is a pretty good idea. I removed the hot air intake section from the OEM air cleaner and that heat operated valve becuae I no longer could tell it was opening up all the way. I cut some sheet metal and rivited it across the gap where the valve use to be. I don't see the need for the hot air intake from the exhaust manifold on a fuel injected engine anyway.

Elbert

Reply to
Elbert

Hey Doc, Bret, others- LTNT!!

Doc, would appreciate the PN's for the edelbrock unit, and to know if you're using the K&N filter still with it

I'm thinking it will work well with the Blazer's 4.3 as it uses the same TBI unit your SBC does.

The Blazer will soon be getting that SAS I've been planning and gathering parts for over the past 5 years. Finally got a house, and now have a garage to work in. I'm thinking the wife will actually be HAPPY to see me working on it and taking up most of the garage for a little while, as it'll mean getting at least 1 of the 3 axles, 4 tires and rims, and a host of small parts out of the back yard... ;) >

Doc wrote:

aircleaner

Reply to
burntkat

it's the Edelbrock 10" Pro-flo chrome aircleaner. I got it for $24.95 at Autozone. I don't (nor Doc) uses a K&N. I've got a Fram CA192 in mine, I'll replace it with a purolator or a WIX (hopefully a litle taller one) before too long.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

if you look, air isn't actually drawn from the fender well, the air is drawnfrom directly behind the passenger side headlights and routed through the fender opening before making a 90deg turn to get through the inner fender. I had had the TAC disabled for a long time, as mine no longer functioned at all... it was like my truck was trying to get air through a straw. the theory behind the TAC is to help warm the air to prevent fuel from sticking to the cold sides of the intake manifolds. in this respect a TBI motor and a carbed motor are no different.

I've also got the rubber fender liners removed so I could get better cooling (old radiator was marginal) so it doesn't get all that hot in the engine compartment. I'd like to make or buy a functional cowl induction hood.. but time will tell.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

friday night Test n Tune at the Local dragstrip would prove just how wrong you are.

stock 3 passes that are consistant then swap on that 10" air cleaner then run again, 3 passes that are consistant

whats the difference?

0.02 of a second? , that would be the weight of the fuel burnt.

Reply to
I'm Right

Where the hell have you been hiding bud!? Good to see yer' still kickin'! BTW, Bret's responses are exactly what I would have said............10" Pro-Flo (Edelbrock PN 1208), hell no to K&N, running a Purolator filter, will get the number later today as I'm headin' out to tinker with my nitor trucks in a few.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"