installed an Edelbrock 10" air cleaner.. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!

Page 1 of 2
today I took my B-day money and picked up a 10" Edelbrock air cleaner.. the 14" has too deep of a dish to work on my '88 K2500, TBI350. I took it and found the biggest 10" air filter the store had
(Fram CA126.. I think, about 4" tall). I removed the PCV spacer on the throttlebody and set the air cleaner base directly on the TB itself. the injectors were finally where they should be... in the air cleaner, not shrouded by the PCV spacer. I ran the truck after.. holy shit what a difference! I'd have never thought it would have made that much of a difference!.
I've got pics on my livejournal
http://www.livejournal.com/users/bretsk2500
I'm now plotting my next move... I'm thinking either the Flowtech afterburner headers, Y pipe and new honeycomb cat (still have the original monolithic), or an Edelbrock TBI intake and 1.6 rockers.
I'm not currently running any muffler. The truck sounds awesome, and isn't really that loud at all, I'd say the restrictive monolithic cat is quieting it down alot
new heads are out of the question as I can't afford either new Vortec heads with the GMPP TBI intake or junkyard Centerbolt TPI corvette heads.
any thoughts?
-Bret

Bret,
That's the exact same air cleaner I've been running for 4 years on my 88' C1500 and I'd never go back to a closed-element factory aircleaner again. There is one drawback.................you'll be changing air filters every time you chain oil! They get dirty pretty fast.............
Exhaust is next for me as well. Hooker has a nice set of super comp headers and true duals (pre-bent) for under $400 for the set (including turbo mufflers). I can give ya part numbers if interested.
Doc

So what's the problem? If they flow a lot of air but stop most of the dirt it sounds like a win, win situation. Beats the hell out of K&Ns crap which flows well but doesn't stop anything smaller than a rat turd from getting in the engine. Air filters are cheaper than engines Bob

are you using that tiny 2" tall filter or did you get a taller one like I did?
-Bret

I got a 4" element like you have..................Purolator Filter, can get the P/N if you'd like.
Doc

Purolator A30067... is that what you're using? I'd like to find one that is truly 4" tall, but I was pressed for time when I was at the parts store.
-Bret
Hey Doc, Bret, others- LTNT!!
Doc, would appreciate the PN's for the edelbrock unit, and to know if you're using the K&N filter still with it <PN for that, too?>
I'm thinking it will work well with the Blazer's 4.3 <till I put a 350 in her> as it uses the same TBI unit your SBC does.
The Blazer will soon be getting that SAS I've been planning and gathering parts for over the past 5 years. Finally got a house, and now have a garage to work in. I'm thinking the wife will actually be HAPPY to see me working on it and taking up most of the garage for a little while, as it'll mean getting at least 1 of the 3 axles, 4 tires and rims, and a host of small parts out of the back yard... ;) >
Doc wrote:

On 13 May 2005 22:15:41 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

it's the Edelbrock 10" Pro-flo chrome aircleaner. I got it for $24.95 at Autozone. I don't (nor Doc) uses a K&N. I've got a Fram CA192 in mine, I'll replace it with a purolator or a WIX (hopefully a litle taller one) before too long.
-Bret

Where the hell have you been hiding bud!? Good to see yer' still kickin'! BTW, Bret's responses are exactly what I would have said............10" Pro-Flo (Edelbrock PN 1208), hell no to K&N, running a Purolator filter, will get the number later today as I'm headin' out to tinker with my nitor trucks in a few.
Doc
nitro trucks, eh? What sort-- I just got my Nitro MT and TMaxx back out the other week...

Megatech Gladiator 1/10 scale.
Doc
stop smoking crack
it makes MORE NOISE its not one bit faster

well I'm not going to argue with you about it. it's no more noisy than the factory air cleaner, except at throttle tip in.
-Bret
You might want to check out CFM Technologies; they have some excellent products. I have the injector tower spacer installed on my 1990 350ci Suburban and I can honestly say that it works as advertised. I also installed the spacer on my son-in-law's tired old 1987 Suburban 350 and you could even feel the difference on it. All it does is raise the injectors up higher in the TBI, which increases air flow and widens the spray pattern. http://www.cfm-tech.com/catalog/air_intake_-_injector_spacer_549426.htm
On Fri, 13 May 2005 21:15:13 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Rich B) wrote:

I've had their website bookmarked for a long time. IMHO, by unshrouding the injectors w/ the edelbrock air filter, I accomplished the same thing as the injector spacer, if not better.
-Bret

I'd have to agree somewhat with "I'm Right"... a non-high performance vehicle might gain about 5hp from a change in an air filter alone. There is just no way for anyone to feel an increase of 5hp. On the same note, my truck runs _much_ better just after having been washed and wax. Go figure.
At best, a vehicle migth gain 15hp but this is only in the highest of performance stock vehicles. Even then, it's rare.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember you saying, many times, that the stock airbox will flow way more air than a stock engine can use. In any case, the open air filter would only make a difference at WOT when the engine is really sucking air. How much time do you spend at WOT? H

You've misquoted me. I have said many times that the stock air FILTER (not airbox) will flow more air than the engine can use. Put that filter in a restrictive OEM airbox and it can't perform to potential.
You fellas are missing some other key points here as well:
Lowering the filter element by removing the PCV shroud effectively puts the injectors directly in the flow of incoming air and promotes better atomization.
Using an air filter with a smaller diameter but greater height changes the direction air enters the throttle body and passes by the injectors; it is pretty much on a straight downward course as opposed to traveling sideways thru the filter then making a 90 when it hits the vacuum of the intake stream. This increases air velocity and also helps with proper atomization.
Doc

on my truck... maybe then they'll se why it makes such a difference.
-Bret