installed an Edelbrock 10" air cleaner.. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!

If you'll pay for it I'll run the dynos dude.............

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

nitro trucks, eh? What sort-- I just got my Nitro MT and TMaxx back out the other week...

Reply to
burntkat

It's been done and on high performance engines it yields about 15hp. On any other engine it yields about 5hp, less then anyone can tell by driving it.

Reply to
Todd Copeland

I think I should clarify my statement. While installing a higher flow-rate air cleaner will increase the flow to the TBI unit or carb., This spacer will lift the inectors out of the bore effectively increasing the airflow capacity of the TBI unit (it's like enlarging the throat of the TBI unit. High pro air cleaners work but you can't flow more air than will pass through the unit and that (flow capacity) is dependent upon the size of the TBI or carb bore.

Rich B

I am just gonna put my 2cents in...

It has been proven for years that a cold air intake will clearly outperform an open element once under hood temps rise above exterior temps. The problem with 90% of the factory air intakes, is that they are designed for looks and sound deadening FIRST, and flow second.

I fabricated a dual snorkel setup on my 'Burban and gained a handful of tenths in average MPG. Slightly noticeable gain in performance especially going down the freeway. I also had ALLOT better drivability for stop and go driving!

I always ran a 10inch open element filter with 2 4inch(or so)Fram elements stacked on top of each other. Sick of always having a filthy element after ANY off-road excursion and sick of replacing them every oil change(as was mentioned), I installed a closed element filter from a late '80's Chevy(tall element type) and routed the tubing to a fairly open area of the radiator support. I immediately felt a difference in performance. and lost track of how many miles were on the element with hardly any dirt. I also got 2-3 MPG better!

Just my 2cents...

Reply to
Shades

Megatech Gladiator 1/10 scale.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember you saying, many times, that the stock airbox will flow way more air than a stock engine can use. In any case, the open air filter would only make a difference at WOT when the engine is really sucking air. How much time do you spend at WOT? H

Reply to
Hairy

You've misquoted me. I have said many times that the stock air FILTER (not airbox) will flow more air than the engine can use. Put that filter in a restrictive OEM airbox and it can't perform to potential.

You fellas are missing some other key points here as well:

Lowering the filter element by removing the PCV shroud effectively puts the injectors directly in the flow of incoming air and promotes better atomization.

Using an air filter with a smaller diameter but greater height changes the direction air enters the throttle body and passes by the injectors; it is pretty much on a straight downward course as opposed to traveling sideways thru the filter then making a 90 when it hits the vacuum of the intake stream. This increases air velocity and also helps with proper atomization.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

you're right on the air intake path.... I had never bothered to verify exactly where the point of entry was located. guess thats the pickup version of a "cold-air-intake".

I do like the sound of the open element air filter though.

I can't say if my truck runs better with the open style air filter in comparison with the OEM setup, but I do like the looks, and simplicity / sound of the "old-school" edelbrock air filter assembly. I did find about a 3" tall air filter to fit the 10" air cleaner, I believe a 4" tall filter would be about perfect. Anyone know a part number for a reliable filter let me know.

Elbert

Reply to
Elbert

I'm going to go outside and take a picture of the factory air intake on my truck... maybe then they'll se why it makes such a difference.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

atomization.

My memory aint what it once was, but it seems to me we used to place 2-4 inch high "velocity" stacks between the air filter housing and the carbs to increase horsepower and torque. The idea being to give the air a chance to start flowing in a smooth downward direction. and also speed the air flow up through the carb. So removing the base adaptor in favor of a flat floor air cleaner housing seems to go counter to that line of thinking. Given how hot under hood temperatures are, not using a snorkel system of some sort seems counter productive as well. will agree the stock ones in most cases are too small, and modifying them to use two hoses such as Buick, Olds and Chrysler did back in the day (as well as others) would be the way to go coupled with a 4" velocity stack. As to Harry's question about WOT, I put Brett between 17 and 24 closer to

17, so I would say the poor rig spends considerable time at WOT.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

actually I'm 31

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

removing the PCV adapter is to get the injectors and fuel pressure regulator out of the way.

which if you look at

you'll see that they take up more than half of the area allowed by the PCV spacer. carburators don't have to worry about injectors or FPR's. the only thing in the bores are the annular boosters and they take up less than 10% of the area. this is why *in this application* a flat bottomed aircleaner with a tall element is better than a velocity stack.

the bigger problem is illustrated by:

and
the snorkel, which is over 2 feet long is a meager 1"X4" on the outside and makes 3-90 degree turns. so giving the pipe an internal area of 2.8sq in (assuming a wall thickness of .125". of course the throttle bores have a combined area of 4.4 sq. in. aka a loss of more than 36% of flow potential.

no one said it wasn't. all I ever said was the open air cleaner *in this application* is better than the *stock* configuration

will agree the stock ones in

well with a 4" stack, the stock air box would be sticking through the hood.

I love how these always devolve into "you're some dumb punk kid who doesn't know shit". I'm a 31 year old happily married father of 3 and my truck sees WOT about 2% of the time, if it's even that high.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I'll admit to making a bad assumption on the age based on the wording of the first post. It sounds like a 17 year old whose parents gave him a decent chunk of change for his birthday.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

The air cleaner is $24.95 at Autozone..........you define that as a decent chunk of change?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"