Insurance Nightmare - A "Total Loss" 1105

Apparently, insurance company repairs as well as 'total loss' claims are lowballed as a general practice. I just read an article at

that says that you can get on average, the ~$2K difference needed to get a replacement ride (vs. trade-in)... for sure, if it was not your fault. Anyone got any experience with using a local 3rd party appraisal to get more $$ back?

Reply to
Just Getting Square

lowballed as a general practice. I just read an article at

that says that you can get on average, the ~$2K difference needed to get a replacement ride (vs. trade-in)... for sure, if it was not your fault. Anyone got any experience with using a local 3rd party appraisal to get more $$ back?

Reply to
Beverly

According to SnoM**....he runs this web site...non-consistent and factual are you kidding me? I would believe what my attorney told me...they always tell the truth.

Reply to
MikeG

Reply to
Shep

Are you bucking for troll-hood too? Must be because as usual you are just looking for thing to complain about or to try to stir the pot.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Don't get me wrong, you invest 35k in a new silverado, you're sitting at a stop light, and a cab rear ends you doing $2,500-3K worth of damage to your 6 month old investment. The damage estimate alone requires all involved parties to file a state accident report. Who doesn't have access to a car fax report? Do you sell it or trade it in before the state has a chance to turn it over to publically available record? What prosective buyer wouldn't run one if you were offering it for sale? A dealer when you trade it in? No private party who hadn't just come out of a 20 year coma, that I know about. Are they going to buy your investment or use the car fax against you? I know I would, in fact, I'd move on even if the damage had been [minor]. Fact is, in my state, according to my attorney, I can't sue for diminished value because I am not required to disclose the accident in a sale. Unfortunately, the state does that for me. Thank you for protecting me lord and master.

Reply to
Beverly

Here's the way I look at diminished value. If you repair your damaged vehicle, and the accident was not your fault, your repaired vehicle is now worth less than before the accident. That is my definition of dimished value.

That said, I was hit by an 18 wheeler that did considerable property damage to my vehicle. I elected to have my vehicle repaired. I went after the trucking company for dimished value. It took me a year to collect, but I persisted and got my $$.

My own insurance company, which helped me with the claim against the trucking company, said I would never collect. I guess I just like a challenge.

Reply to
Autumn

Reply to
Shep

Diminished value:

Is the cause of a shoddy repair.

None of my customers has ever claimed D/V on any of my repairs.

Reply to
Refinish King

I agree with Snoman.

MikeG, What in this thread prompted your response?

Reply to
Ed H.

Reply to
Shep

I would agree:

Only in the case of a total; ;loss, or a major collision.

4K of damage or under, are rarely ever reported, because a deer hit, 5MPH parking lot hit can generate that kind of claim.

Equifax owns CarFax, and the insurance companies rarely ever report more than a total in Pa.

Please correct me if I am misinformed.

Nice hearing from you again.

Sincerely,

Reply to
Refinish King

Reply to
Shep

Many states don't report,

Or have a lax reporting standard. But, the fact remains that: if it's a total loss, it should be reported.

Dealers buy cars on their specific brand lane at the auctions, most truck damaged at delivery. They are not reporting to the end buyer that, their new vehicle was in fact a repair job,

I remember doing a $6500.00 job on a truck with.4 miles on it, and the dealer never told the buyer.

Thanks for your reply, and kind regards.

Reply to
Refinish King