Intake man/coolant leak

I'm getting ready to replace the intake manifold gaskets on a '91 K1500/350. I have a couple of questions I would like to try to get answered.
First, do I need to take the TBI unit off of the intake?
Second, does the distributor use an 'O' ring or a gasket to seal it? What size?
Any words of advice to make things go easy? I will have help, so that in itself will make things a little easier.
Thanks in advance, Larry
you don't have to remove the tbi unit from the intake, you just have to disconnect the fuel lines and linkage from the tbi unit.
yes the distributor has a gasket......... fairly common GM 350 distributor gasket. You should get a new one in your intake gasket set. You can get these from just about any parts store.
change the engine oil and filter before you start the engine for the first time. Use good quality RTV sealant on the front and rear lip of the lifter valley (the front and rear bottom area where the intake mates to the engine block. I like fel-pro intake gaskets, GM even makes some good ones too. Mark the position of the distributor rotor button where you will be able to re-install the distributor back in the correct position and in time. If you have to remove any spark plug wires make sure and mark them and their position on the distributor...(assuming you are new at this)..
Make sure you change the oil !

Elbert Clarke
elbert.clarke**@us.army.mil
Elbert wrote:

I see stains around the unit. Looks like it will come off after all.

You can get these from just >about any parts store.
I was concerned about it being one of those items that was hard to come by.

Not a problem, but why?

New to this type of repair, but not general maintanance:) Actually put a re-man in my Jeep a couple of years ago. Learned a lot.

"Retiredff" wrote

It's always cheap insurance when changing an intake manifold gasket. When you pull the manifold, inevitably some coolant goes into the valley and possibly down into the engine oil.
In our shop, we have to change the oil and filter after any engine work like an intake gasket replacement. No if, ands, or buts about it.
Ian
shiden_kai wrote:

Sounds like a good enough reason, but in my mind, it would seem like it would be better to at least run the engine, so that whatever coolant has made its way inside could at least be 'washed' out by the oil.
Makes sense to anyone?
vlj wrote:

OK. Some of the time, I think of things that really seem off the wall, but in hindsite, turn out to be good. In this case, I guess not.
Thanks to all. Larry
this is what you don't want to do.... best to change oil and filter up front before you run the engine after an intake job.

Elbert Clarke
elbert.clarke**@us.army.mil
when you change the intake you can spill some of the collant thats in the intake down into the lifter valley which drains down into the oil pan (not good for the bearings).... play it safe and change the oil and filter. Money well spent.

Elbert Clarke
elbert.clarke**@us.army.mil
Elbert wrote:

Nope. It is monet already spent:)
Thanks
Inline................................

Nope, but it would be a good idea to do so anyways and replace the intake-to-TBI gasket which is prone to leaking after 10 or so years.

Some had them, some didn't. Then again, maybe they all had them when new and by the time I get them they're long gone!

Don't rush, and for god's sake use a torque wrench! Also, I'd give the EGR port a good cleaning while you have the intake off.

You're welcome,
Doc
"Doc" wrote:

I see stains around it, now. Off it comes.

The torque wrench is my friend! I use it religiously on repairs. OK on the EGR port.
Larry
You should take the TBI off and change the gasket. Also it makes it easier to flip the intake over and clean the intake surfaces.
Cheers

Martin Riddle wrote:

Already decided to take care of that.
Thanks