Intake manifold studs

'91 K1500 350
I got the intake manifold off today, and need to find out if I have a problem that needs to be taken care of.
There is a small insert in each of the four holes where the studs go. Two of
those inserts came out and are pretty mangled. I can't see that they actually do anything. Are they needed? Maybe used in the original engine assembly to speed production?
Thanks, Larry
I believe these are gasket alignment inserts. You should have four, probably rusted and stuck to the hard as a rock OEM gaskets. I had reused mine, they help keep the gasket in place.
Cheers

Re: Intake manifold studs Yep alignment inserts... Steve C Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Thu, Jan 15, 2004, 2:45am (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (MartinRiddle) I believe these are gasket alignment inserts. You should have four, probably rusted and stuck to the hard as a rock OEM gaskets. I had reused mine, they help keep the gasket in place. Cheers
'91 K1500 350 I got the intake manifold off today, and need to find out if I have a problem that needs to be taken care of. There is a small insert in each of the four holes where the studs go. Two of those inserts came out and are pretty mangled. I can't see that they actually do anything. Are they needed? Maybe used in the original engine assembly to speed production? Thanks, Larry
Steve Cook wrote:

Thanks
Martin Riddle wrote:

That explains the prongs on them.