intermitant problem, w/ starting?

My truck, a chevy 1987 S -10 V6 w/ fuel injection the past few days has been giving me problems starting.
I put new plugs, wires, PCV valve about a month & 1/2 ago,.
recently the truck at times will turn over like there is no spark or gas. I had someone look in the carborater when I turned it over and he said there was gas?
I pulled the Distributer off cleaned the contacts w/ a file along w/ the rotor. This seeemed to help for about a day and a half so I dont know if this was some type of fluke.
When it does not start I open the hood and take off the air cleaner , this seems to help?
The problem seems to be worse when the engine is warm.
I just drove 12 miles home today, shut it off,... and tried to restart,... no go.
Yesterday I did the same thing and when I tried restarting,.... it started,.... the only difference was I was not on the highway yesterday I took all back roads home?
The engine has 100,000 miles but runs good burns no oil.
When it starts it runs good?
Although every once in a while when leaving parking lot after starting the truck will almost conk out, so I give it a good amount of gas. This does not last too long once I rev the engine a bit.
Any of these symptoms sound familiar?
I hope
Thanks
Kevin
--
http://www.soundclick.com/kevinduggan

http://www.kevsblues.com
check your fuel pump pressure should be appx. 12 lbs. for a throttle body type of fuel system. Yes that is MUCH lower compared to center port injection models that came out after 91. --I assume you have an in-tank electric fuel pump. They can become intermittent with age--be good one time, bad the next time to try to start. Also check to see if you have one of those oil pressure senders that contain a fuel pump safety switch, not sure if 87 has it or not. If you do not know what it is then check the wiring diagram in a Haynes manual or similar. If your oil sender (near the distributor) has three wires, then that is the safety version designed to turn off fuel delivery in event of an accident or rare collapse of oil pressure (like if there's no oil in the crankcase). Also check ground wire back at the gas tank harness to ensure that it is not corroded, and that it is tight. A motor trying to quit, or failing to start could be many other things --so you'll need to go down a very long list--and be a person who doesn't mind giving up a lot of time working on the thing.

The '87 S-10 with a 2.8 ltr V-6 the oil pressure sender and the safety switch are both mounted just above the oil filter. Another possibility is the module in the distributor is starting to go bad, or the coil is getting weak. I am at a loss as to why you went to all the work of changing plugs (with AC plugs I hope, not Bosch) and the wires but not the cap and rotor? And don't skimp on the cap and rotor, GM's can eat a cheap set in a heart beat. How many miles on the truck? With age the timing chains on these things can really stretch and timing can jump all over the place. On the fuel pump front, when is the last time the fuel filter was replaced? And yes the pump is in the tank. Check the vacuum lines, especially the one going from the PCV valve to the intake.
Whitelightning