is this a common leak?

My 1985 Chevy S10 Blazer 2.8 engine 4x4 sprung a water leak right around the timing chain cover and my mechanic said it was the gasket - since this gasket was only 4 years old which was when the engine was rebuilt , is this
a common problem or just my bad luck? Also about how many hours should it take to repair this gasket - my mechanic gave me an estimate of $340 should I decide to fix it - this is in and around New York - thanks for any advice....
don wrote:

NO WAY !!!!!
intake GASKET Water pump SEAL or
Soft Plug
and my mechanic said it was the gasket - since this

My 96 GMC Pickup had the same issue, it was the water pump.
Find someone with a radiator pressure tester, pump up the cooling system, get a mirror and a flashlight, and look for a leak
PS correct me if I'm wrong on this, but there shouldn't be much water inside the timing change cover..K
ken wrote:

There is NO water JACKETS Near the timming Chain Cover

Check I think there is a by pass or heater hose just above the cover. I know there is on a Firetird, we just fixed one. Pressurize the system most likely it is a hose leaking. From when the engine was done the hoses have expanded and shrunk so many times, check for that...

hipcheck wrote:

    2.8V6 F-car and & 2.8 S-Truck engines use different timing covers. Same block, different timing covers, water pump, & oil pan.
    All 87& up FWD 2.8's use a one peice alumnium timing cover that also houses the water pump. This has a seal/gasket at the timing chain.
    S-truck 2.8's have cooliant going thru the timing cover as well. Same Timing Cover to Block Gasket. Charles
don wrote:

Please don't listen to all the other un-informed posters who think that you can't have a coolant leak from the front timing cover housing on a 2.8 v-6. This tells me that they have done little/no work on this engine, and aren't really qualified to help you.
A lot depends on what kind of gasket was used. Used to be that anaerobic sealer was used, and this would leak quickly. But even a paper gasket will leak after 4 years. Certainly not unheard of. I believe that the time to replace this gasket would probably be around the 2-3 hour mark.
Ian
You are correct - thanks for your input -