is this a common leak?

My 1985 Chevy S10 Blazer 2.8 engine 4x4 sprung a water leak right around the timing chain cover and my mechanic said it was the gasket - since this gasket was only 4 years old which was when the engine was rebuilt , is this a common problem or just my bad luck? Also about how many hours should it take to repair this gasket - my mechanic gave me an estimate of $340 should I decide to fix it - this is in and around New York - thanks for any advice....

Reply to
don

NO WAY !!!!!

intake GASKET Water pump SEAL or

Soft Plug

and my mechanic said it was the gasket - since this

Reply to
no one

Find someone with a radiator pressure tester, pump up the cooling system, get a mirror and a flashlight, and look for a leak

PS correct me if I'm wrong on this, but there shouldn't be much water inside the timing change cover..K

Reply to
ken

There is NO water JACKETS Near the timming Chain Cover

Reply to
no one

My 96 GMC Pickup had the same issue, it was the water pump.

Reply to
TrAsK

Check I think there is a by pass or heater hose just above the cover. I know there is on a Firetird, we just fixed one. Pressurize the system most likely it is a hose leaking. From when the engine was done the hoses have expanded and shrunk so many times, check for that...

Reply to
hipcheck

Please don't listen to all the other un-informed posters who think that you can't have a coolant leak from the front timing cover housing on a 2.8 v-6. This tells me that they have done little/no work on this engine, and aren't really qualified to help you.

A lot depends on what kind of gasket was used. Used to be that anaerobic sealer was used, and this would leak quickly. But even a paper gasket will leak after 4 years. Certainly not unheard of. I believe that the time to replace this gasket would probably be around the 2-3 hour mark.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

2.8V6 F-car and & 2.8 S-Truck engines use different timing covers. Same block, different timing covers, water pump, & oil pan.

All 87& up FWD 2.8's use a one peice alumnium timing cover that also houses the water pump. This has a seal/gasket at the timing chain.

S-truck 2.8's have cooliant going thru the timing cover as well. Same Timing Cover to Block Gasket. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

You are correct - thanks for your input -

Reply to
don