Is this common for Chevs?

With my ignition turned on, even with the engine is running, I can reach over and pull my keys from the ignition without moving to the off/lock position. If the engine is off but the ignition is not in the locked position, I can even fire it up without the key. Is this a common Chev thing? I need to be careful that my ignition is fully in the off position before I leave my Jimmy or else someone could simply hop in and drive away...

My Jimmy has this little phenomena, but my GTA does not (probably due to the VATS, the little "chip" built into the ignition key).

Reply to
SBlackfoot

no, it is not normal

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

I know it's not normal, but is it common? My brother said his old Monte Carlo (80s model) used to do this, as well as his buddy's car back in high school, and a friend of mine said he knows of two other Chevs with the same nuance. I'm not too worried about it, I was just wondering how many others have had the same issue.

Reply to
SBlackfoot

It means your key or lock is worn

Reply to
Me

Not common but does happen with a few cars and trucks. It has to do with wear both on the key and the pins in the lock itself. If you have a spare key that you do not use often try that one instead it might still pull out but not as easily. Best advice, change lock. Rich

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once"

Reply to
BigLynch

Usually when this has ahppened to me a new key will solve the problem for awhile. The key AND the lock are worn. When you replace one or the other you are only 1/2 way back to a like-new condition. This is a VERY COMMON condition with an older Chevy/GM

-- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

change lock before it does like mine and not unlock with your key because it's wore out when you are fifty miles from home

Reply to
worker

My 88 S-10 has done it for 9 years or so. Haven't bothered to do anything about it, and it's handy when I run into a store in the winter -- I can lock it and leave it running with the same set of keys! My 75 Impala also had this same issue, so I don' t think it is all that uncommon.

Big Chris

Reply to
Big Chris

Extremely common. Although my truck doesn't do it, my mom's Malibu('98) was doing it by 2002, and her Blazer many years before did it also.

Sam

Reply to
GaWd

Had an 89' Tahoe. Did the same thing. I remember an early 70's Pontiac also doing it. Probably a GM problem.

Reply to
Robin Rosenberg

If you own a G M and it doesn't do it just start it up grab the key ring and give it a good yank to pull the key out and it will. It's normal. Just check when you turn it to off without the key that it is locked. Sometimes they will start without the key. If it does have the little chip that's another story I know nothing about. Only it costs a lot to fix. So just check to make sure it's locked when the key is out. It's better than the ford I had when the whole cylinder fell out in my hand. Jonsey

Reply to
Jones

Reply to
sidewinder

My 91 S15 Jimmy does it, my 89 S15 was doing it, my 78 C10 was doing it, my 86 Pontiac 6000 was doing it, as well as my 79 Pontiac grand prix. I'm sure my 95 and 96 K1500 would have done it if I would have kept them long enough ;-)

As you see, NEVER had anything else than GM :-)

Reply to
Le Boule

Well I tried my spare key, freshly cut when I bought the truck and little used since. It does it too. lol Oh well, I'm not too worried about it.

Reply to
SBlackfoot

I'm starting to think this isn't exactly rare. Thanks for the comments guys, my truck isn't as freakish as I though. ;o)

Reply to
SBlackfoot

Reply to
*Zoe*

Yeah, not just Chevy's. I had a 74 Toyota Celica that I used a flat-head screw driver to start. Only needed the key for the door. Actually, the lock in the doors were changed and the key didn't even match the one for the ignition. That screw driver really came in handy; start the car, fix the choke on the carb.... But hey.. the thing looked like a mini Camaro so it kinda fits with Chevy, right? :)

Brandonb

rock_doctor wrote:

Reply to
Brandon Buckner

Uhh... Yeah, it starts with the key just fine... And like I said originally, unless it's in the locked position it'll start without the key too.

Reply to
SBlackfoot