Is this common for Chevs?

With my ignition turned on, even with the engine is running, I can reach over and pull my keys from the ignition without moving to the off/lock position. If the engine is off but the ignition is not in the locked
position, I can even fire it up without the key. Is this a common Chev thing? I need to be careful that my ignition is fully in the off position before I leave my Jimmy or else someone could simply hop in and drive away...
My Jimmy has this little phenomena, but my GTA does not (probably due to the VATS, the little "chip" built into the ignition key).
no, it is not normal

the

I know it's not normal, but is it common? My brother said his old Monte Carlo (80s model) used to do this, as well as his buddy's car back in high school, and a friend of mine said he knows of two other Chevs with the same nuance. I'm not too worried about it, I was just wondering how many others have had the same issue.
On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 21:58:26 -0400, "SBlackfoot"

Usually when this has ahppened to me a new key will solve the problem for awhile. The key AND the lock are worn. When you replace one or the other you are only 1/2 way back to a like-new condition. This is a VERY COMMON condition with an older Chevy/GM
-- Regards Gordie

high
others
Extremely common. Although my truck doesn't do it, my mom's Malibu('98) was doing it by 2002, and her Blazer many years before did it also.
Sam

It means your key or lock is worn

the
Not common but does happen with a few cars and trucks. It has to do with wear both on the key and the pins in the lock itself. If you have a spare key that you do not use often try that one instead it might still pull out but not as easily. Best advice, change lock. Rich
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once"
change lock before it does like mine and not unlock with your key because it's wore out when you are fifty miles from home

Well I tried my spare key, freshly cut when I bought the truck and little used since. It does it too. lol Oh well, I'm not too worried about it.
just be careful cause if the key will pull out while running.......more than likely it might start with the key too...........we had a car that done that.........

than
Uhh... Yeah, it starts with the key just fine... And like I said originally, unless it's in the locked position it'll start without the key too.
SBlackfoot wrote:

My 88 S-10 has done it for 9 years or so. Haven't bothered to do anything about it, and it's handy when I run into a store in the winter -- I can lock it and leave it running with the same set of keys! My 75 Impala also had this same issue, so I don' t think it is all that uncommon.
Big Chris
Had an 89' Tahoe. Did the same thing. I remember an early 70's Pontiac also doing it. Probably a GM problem.

the

the
If you own a G M and it doesn't do it just start it up grab the key ring and give it a good yank to pull the key out and it will. It's normal. Just check when you turn it to off without the key that it is locked. Sometimes they will start without the key. If it does have the little chip that's another story I know nothing about. Only it costs a lot to fix. So just check to make sure it's locked when the key is out. It's better than the ford I had when the whole cylinder fell out in my hand. Jonsey
It seems that it is quite common. I have had many chevs over the last few years and come to think of it the only one that didn't come out was a 95 camaro. I have even replaced an ignition on a 77 cheyenne and it came out with the motor running.

position
chain.
key
change
in
SBlackfoot wrote:

My 91 S15 Jimmy does it, my 89 S15 was doing it, my 78 C10 was doing it, my 86 Pontiac 6000 was doing it, as well as my 79 Pontiac grand prix. I'm sure my 95 and 96 K1500 would have done it if I would have kept them long enough ;-)
As you see, NEVER had anything else than GM :-)
--
Eaulive,

I'm starting to think this isn't exactly rare. <dripping with sarcasm> Thanks for the comments guys, my truck isn't as freakish as I though. ;o)
Yeah, not just Chevy's. I had a 74 Toyota Celica that I used a flat-head screw driver to start. Only needed the key for the door. Actually, the lock in the doors were changed and the key didn't even match the one for the ignition. That screw driver really came in handy; start the car, fix the choke on the carb.... But hey.. the thing looked like a mini Camaro so it kinda fits with Chevy, right? :)
Brandonb