Isolating the Computer, ESC, and Distrib Module (continued)

Page 2 of 4
really ?
how many have you installed in the past five years ?
says... The magic number is: 1227148. John's reference was: 1227747. hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm.
Maybe I can come up with a better match over the weekend since I sure haven't come up with a way to get rid of the truck. Thanks John, that explains allot. Someone mentioned models from other vehicles, etc. Since I may get a chance to go to Gary's U Pull It on saturday, does anybody have cross-reference data (other vehicles, computer #s)??? If so, this truck is: 1987, S-10, 2.8LV6, TBI, AutoTrans, A/C, 4x4, pwr win, cruise, full gages, etc. Hold your horses. I said I wasn't sure. Turns out your looking for a 1227429 At least according to these guys. Someone with a better reference source might want to double check this http://www.cruzers.com/~ludis/c3xref.html#1227148 Get the right computer and PROM. It has to be for a 2.8 automatic
i have been a aoutomtive technician since 1989. i have had the opportunity to replace several computers. back in the days when it was fairly common for them to fail. asfor the last 5 years: they very rarely fail anymore and if they do, they need to be programmed by a dealer. i left the franchise dealer two years ago. Re: Isolating the Computer, ESC, and Distrib Module (continued) Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Thu, Apr 8, 2004, 11:47pm (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com (TranSurgeon) really ? how many have you installed in the past five years ?
says... The magic number is: 1227148. John's reference was: 1227747. hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm. Maybe I can come up with a better match over the weekend since I sure haven't come up with a way to get rid of the truck. Thanks John, that explains allot. Someone mentioned models from other vehicles, etc. Since I may get a chance to go to Gary's U Pull It on saturday, does anybody have cross-reference data (other vehicles, computer #s)??? If so, this truck is: 1987, S-10, 2.8LV6, TBI, AutoTrans, A/C, 4x4, pwr win, cruise, full gages, etc. Hold your horses. I said I wasn't sure. Turns out your looking for a 1227429 At least according to these guys. Someone with a better reference source might want to double check this http://www.cruzers.com/~ludis/c3xref.html#1227148 Get the right computer and PROM. It has to be for a 2.8 automatic
I've replaced at least 25-30 with AZ re-mans over the last 5 years, with zero problems
says...

says...

think I'm going to tell you to do with it?
The new (used) computer should have the stuff inside it. Just make sure it's from a 2.8 auto circa 86 to 88. If it's not, they should be able to look it up.

BTW, your computer was for a 3.8 V6.
Yea I see that now. And yea your number appears correct for this truck, 1227429 Used in 86-89 'trucks' with 2.8L V6 TBI. Gosh I'm not sure about finding it in such a narrow range of vehicles. Do you think the 1228062 would interchange (more years + Isuzu)? It appears this site is documenting what was more than what will interchange. I suppose for $75 I could 'order' one from the junk yard network here. Elliott
John Alt wrote:

Google and the site I linked you to is the first hit.
My books are at my father's place right now. While I have a lowly two car garage and 10 by 20 covered area on the side to work on, he has a 2 car and a 4 car garage, with covered paved parking for 5 more. It's so much nicer working at his place, I keep most of my stuff there.
I don't have any more info handy for you other than googling. You can do that, too. Or call Gary's and see if they can cross it. My local junk yard can. Any of the ones with a part finding service should be able to.

Pretty much guaranteed that the replacement ECM will not have a PROM installed.

I'd have to agree, I've always got them from NAPA or the dealership and they never come with a PROM. Personally I would never buy something like a PCM from Autozone. Bob

I bought parts at an Autozone,
Once.
I've actually had good experiences with AutoZoo and know all the workers at the one I go too. They recognize me, so they may be particularly helpful/nice to me. Also just had my first warranty issue with them, 0 problems.
~KJ~

In article

I should probably explain...
We don't have an Autozone around here locally...
One Saturday I got in a scheduling bind and couldn't get started on a brake job until after 2 pm, -after- our local NAPA and CarQuest had closed. In a bind, I knew the Autozone in a city 20 miles away would have the parts I needed so I drove up there. State sales tax exemption form in hand and all filled out, there was no way they were interested in selling at wholesale prices, so I paid full list plus sales tax for a no-name brand of brake pads I had never heard of before which put their cost to me way over what I would have paid for a set of Raybestos pads from either of our local suppliers. The backing plates of the no-name pads were stamped out so ragged I had to grind and file them just to get them to fit the knuckle adaptor. Lack of customer service topped off by crappie no-name parts hat fit like shit. Didn't make for a good first impression.
I'd dearly love to see an Autozone open around here, it would attract the DIYers and free up the counter wait at the other two local stores.
They sell performance friction, so far so good here. Doc has good things to say about them as well. How long ago was this? Things may have changed since then :-)
~KJ~

I've been buying parts at Autozone (now Advanced Auto - at least here) for a few years (for my own stuff). Other than the brake rotor wrong part (diff thread) that I described, I've not had any problems (I've had that many problems in the old days with Parts+ who were very knowledgeable). AZ's workers aren't very knowledgeable, but their computer is pretty good. They've also been good about returns - the unusual times I've done so. The 1 thing I returned was crappy valve-spring-compresser tools. The ratchets I've broke have been due to enough force to break anything. Thus I'm comfortable buying a PCM and chip there. It's 3x more expensive than Gary's U Pull It (300 miles away), but only about 20% more expensive than the local junk-yard here. And the yard here didn't have any locally, and told me to read them the number of my old one so they could match it. That woulda sucked - another 3.8 model (thanks again NG - at least I will have a correct model and can go from there). I will see if they will get the chip w/o me having to go there again to make the order/purchase in advance. Elliott
KJ wrote:

In article

Nope, wasn't that brand.

2 - 2 1/2 years ago.

The only thing I buy from AZ is Perf. Friction brake pads, sparkplugs and fluids. Everything else is Advance Auto or NAPA for exactly the same reason you describe above Neil.
Had a wheel cylinder SHEAR off on me last year (literally sheared right where the wheel cylinder meets the drum backing plate). Not a fun experience......................and it was an Autozne product, about 2.5 years old.
Doc
Doc, Was the backing plate (dust cover) good on the wheel cylinder that sheered? I had one that did that but the backing plate was shot too. Bro came up with a 2 piece replacement backing plate that solved our problem on that one. Elliott
\"Doc\" wrote:

Doc, I guess that means your plates are fine and the problem was the cylinder itself. On the 85 S-10 Bro and I built, we replaced one of the wheel cylinder's a couple of times before replacing the rusted backing plate. The rust on the plate allowed enough movement so that the shoes could miss align with the cylinder and pop/shear the pins. Elliott