Isolating the Computer, ESC, and Distrib Module (continued)

Reply to
Elliott

It's real simple with this here Internet thing. I put 1227148 into Google and the site I linked you to is the first hit.

My books are at my father's place right now. While I have a lowly two car garage and 10 by 20 covered area on the side to work on, he has a 2 car and a 4 car garage, with covered paved parking for 5 more. It's so much nicer working at his place, I keep most of my stuff there.

I don't have any more info handy for you other than googling. You can do that, too. Or call Gary's and see if they can cross it. My local junk yard can. Any of the ones with a part finding service should be able to.

Reply to
John Alt

He'll need a prom after that - how do I know! Spent like $90 on the 'computer' and needed to use my old prom. Did not like that one little bit. Especially since it just turned into a power supply problem! Then on the other hand, when I got it back he had removed just the right fuse so the truck would START but nothing else worked really. No gauges - no alternator - Didn't notice anything wrong till about 2 days after when my gas gauge wasn't going down....

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

you have GOT to be joking! a/m computers are JUNK!

1227429 At least according to these guys. Someone with a better reference source might want to double check this
Get the right computer and PROM. It has to be for a 2.8 automatic
Reply to
pete carb

really ?

how many have you installed in the past five years ?

Re: Isolating the Computer, ESC, and Distrib Module (continued)

1987, S-10, 2.8LV6, TBI, AutoTrans, A/C, 4x4, pwr win, cruise, full gages, etc. Hold your horses. I said I wasn't sure. Turns out your looking for a 1227429 At least according to these guys. Someone with a better reference source might want to double check this
the right computer and PROM. It has to be for a 2.8 automatic
Reply to
TranSurgeon
1987, S-10, 2.8LV6, TBI, AutoTrans, A/C, 4x4, pwr win, cruise, full gages, etc. Hold your horses. I said I wasn't sure. Turns out your looking for a 1227429 At least according to these guys. Someone with a better reference source might want to double check this
Get the right computerand PROM. It has to be for a 2.8 automatic
Reply to
pete carb

Pretty much guaranteed that the replacement ECM will not have a PROM installed.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

I've replaced at least 25-30 with AZ re-mans over the last 5 years, with zero problems

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Ditto on the AZ remans. I've gone thru about 5 of them in the past couple years on friends vehix and all are still up and running perfect as far as the ECM/PCM is concerned.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I'd have to agree, I've always got them from NAPA or the dealership and they never come with a PROM. Personally I would never buy something like a PCM from Autozone. Bob

Reply to
Bob

I bought parts at an Autozone,

Once.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

I've actually had good experiences with AutoZoo and know all the workers at the one I go too. They recognize me, so they may be particularly helpful/nice to me. Also just had my first warranty issue with them, 0 problems.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

I have one about 8 blocks away... been there about a year. So far my purchases amount to a funnel and a couple cases of Mobile 1. I just can't see myself installing any of that second rate crap onto a customers vehicle...... or my own for that matter. Bob

Reply to
Bob

I should probably explain...

We don't have an Autozone around here locally...

One Saturday I got in a scheduling bind and couldn't get started on a brake job until after 2 pm, -after- our local NAPA and CarQuest had closed. In a bind, I knew the Autozone in a city 20 miles away would have the parts I needed so I drove up there. State sales tax exemption form in hand and all filled out, there was no way they were interested in selling at wholesale prices, so I paid full list plus sales tax for a no-name brand of brake pads I had never heard of before which put their cost to me way over what I would have paid for a set of Raybestos pads from either of our local suppliers. The backing plates of the no-name pads were stamped out so ragged I had to grind and file them just to get them to fit the knuckle adaptor. Lack of customer service topped off by crappie no-name parts hat fit like shit. Didn't make for a good first impression.

I'd dearly love to see an Autozone open around here, it would attract the DIYers and free up the counter wait at the other two local stores.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

They sell performance friction, so far so good here. Doc has good things to say about them as well. How long ago was this? Things may have changed since then :-)

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Reply to
Elliott

Reply to
Elliott

Nope, wasn't that brand.

2 - 2 1/2 years ago.
Reply to
Neil Nelson

It would be nice to have one -if- they have decent pricing on Mobil 1. So far, Walmart is the cheapest around here when they have the 5 quart jugs. Other than that, I have no use for that store either.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Well the AZ computer is useless (7-7429 appears right). It's giving me code 51 and will barely start. So the old computer's prom is probably wrong (that was not certain but likely). This means that I need to visit a j-yard anyway. I will be looking for a

1227429 or 1228062 (per the link John shared:
andbuying it proms and all. If it works AZ can have theirs back - and the NG can know AZ's brainless computer was a waist of time. There are 2 chips, the chip that's changed for a power chip (did that on an 88 S-10), and a smaller one. The new computer came with neither. The old computer had the littlechip, and the bigger one was in a bag of screws onthe floor (when I got the truck). So it's probably the smaller of the 2 chips, but for now I'm hoping it's J-yard to the rescue hoping to find it at
tomorrow morning.Elliott
Reply to
Elliott