Isolating the Computer, ESC, and Distrib Module (continued)

Page 3 of 4

After that, I'd swear off their brake parts forever.

Oh hell yeah. I did just that as soon as I saw it. I wish I had of snapped some pics of it but I was so pissed off I just threw it in a ziploc bag, threw it away and drank beer. This happened in my garage thank god, could have been bad news on some of the crazy Appalachian roads I drive on daily.
I have NEVER used AZ parts on front ends, drivetrains, etc. I used to use their brake parts (calipers, wheel cylinders, hardware, etc.) until this happened. Until just recently I used their electronic components and have had good results with them; I'll give em' that. I've even switched back to Delco oil filters from Mobil 1 so I don't have to make a trip to AZ when it's maintenance time.
Doc
Same here, NO electronic parts at AZ Bought a coil for my '89 S blazer, it was arcing through the side, AZ coil started doing the same after about 1k miles. Needless to say the NAPA coil is still going strong as I sold the truck to my brother 2yr ago. One good thing about AZ is that when they came to town the local NAPA adjusted their prices down to compete, a win for me as I couldn't get a price break before.
--
John
"Anything you say can & will be misquoted & used against you"

I have one about 8 blocks away... been there about a year. So far my purchases amount to a funnel and a couple cases of Mobile 1. I just can't see myself installing any of that second rate crap onto a customers vehicle...... or my own for that matter. Bob
Well I just posted a positive AZ note, here's the negative one... I called them this morning and, rather than saying they couldn't get the chip, the guy said 'come in'. So I went there on my way to work and then they say they can't get a chip - it's in their computer system, but they can't even order it. This phone BS isn't the first time they've messed up with their phone communications either. So either I can 'trust' the chip that was in the truck in a bag on the floor (and fit into the computer that was installed but was the wrong model), or go junk surfing at Gary's tomarrow. If I find one at Gary's I will probably cancel/return the computer from AZ. Seems stupid to sell a computer that's missing a chip. Those parts are pennies - they could even include every possible chip to fit every possible application for under a dollar extra - but noooo guess that's too much engineering for the bean counters to approve. Elliott

It would be nice to have one -if- they have decent pricing on Mobil 1. So far, Walmart is the cheapest around here when they have the 5 quart jugs. Other than that, I have no use for that store either.
Hi!

Hey! I take offense to that! :-)
Well, no, wait, I guess I can't. Mine is great except for the radio. But that was soon fixed.
William The Guesser (and S-10 Owner)
wrote in message

I'm gunna side with you William. I really enjoy zipping around in my wife's 98' Sonoma. Fast as hell, decent size bed, quiet inside. Yeah, it'll never go offroad (2WD, SLS Sport package, sits pretty low to the ground), but on-road it serves it's purpose. I personally like the bigger cab of the FS trucks as I tend to spread out when I'm driving, but for a small truck, it's damn comfy on long trips.
Haven't had any problems with it. Needed brakes and a waterpump but that's it so far. And yeah, the radio was the first thing I did to it. Dumped a Sony ES head unit in her, Blaupunkt speakers in the dash and doors and a JL Audio sub in the back (wife likes her country music thumpy!).
Doc

hey me too! One of my favorites is "Long Haired Country Boy" by Charlie Daniels... I turn my stereo up to "teeth rattle" and my JL microsub gladly obliges. the older 70's country bass lines are great for that too.
-Bret

I know that one and enjoy it as well! Gotta love JL Subs.................more SPL per watt than any other sub I've heard, and damn good, silky smooth bass. She's into the more modern country now, Shania, Faith, Martina Mc Bride, etc., and it sounds damn good on her system. Nothing like drowning out the ghetto thumpa' ricer beside you at a stop light with good ol' counrty music!
Doc

Doc, I have to agree with you on the JLs. I use a dual voice coil 10" and the thing is great. The JL in combination with the Precision Power amps and active crossover, and the MB Quarts do a great job together. And, no, I have never grace my system with that ghetto tribal mating music you speak of.
Rita

How do you like the MB Quarts? What size are you running? Coax or Triax? I was looking into them on E-Bay a few months back but noone here carries them so I couldn't listen to them before I bought. E-Bay sellers usually don't offer a return policy if you don't like the way they sound!
Doc

They are awesome. I wouldn't use anything else. They are coaxial and the size is 5.25, I believe. I wouldn't recommend triax by any manufacturer, as they tend to be tinny, less accurate, and limit your control to get better imaging. Separate tweeters in the dash/pillar area compliment the coaxial and provide much better imaging. Keep in mind that I'm using an active crossover that provides a variable crossover point. I wouldn't use a passive crossover since you're limited to just a few selectable frequencies. The active crossover was expensive, but more than worth it. It's all personal taste and I have a good feeling that you would be highly satisfied with the MB Quarts.
Also, be careful buying speakers from eBay as most are factory refurbs or used. I would search the web to find your best deal. If you must buy them on eBay just set a price that you would be comfortable with if you got undesirable merchandise and stick to it. Don't get caught up in a bidding war.
Rita
Inline.....................

I've used Blaupunkt speakers exclusively for the past 4 years; best sound for the price IMHO. Used Alpine, Clarion and Infinity in the past and I think the Blau's sound better for way less $$$. I'm gunna look intothe MB Quarts as you're not the first person who's told me they really like them.

I've been an avid E-Bayer since E-Bay began and am familiar with the tricks of the trade. I buy all of my audio equipment from E-Bay and haven't had a sour experience yet. I have a few sellers who I deal with regularly so I know what I'm getting!
Doc

The Blaupunkts aren't too bad. It's all personal taste. I'm using a Blaupunkt head unit and it sounds great and I'm happy with it. I owned Alpine years back and I must say that it is nothing but overrated garbage. If you were looking for a more accurate sound I would say the MBs are the way to go. I'm really not into jazz or classical music, but I'll tell you that when I played a few sampler CDs I was really hooked with the awesome sound. It sounds like you're center stage, loud, crisp, clear, and no ear pain from distortion. You even have depth perception of the distance the instruments are away from you.

Yes, I did eBay for years myself, but it seems to be changing with a newer breed of scammers. I have no problem weeding them out. I just wasn't sure if you were a seasoned member. Let me know when you get them.
Rita
80's hair bands for me!
~KJ~

You don't have a 1988. I can't attest to the new body style. The real test is when your S10 is as old as your siera is now, will it still be rolling? :-) The engine in my S10 is godly, never fails. Anything electric attached to the truck is designed to break.
~KJ~
wrote in message

Well the AZ computer is useless (7-7429 appears right). It's giving me code 51 and will barely start. So the old computer's prom is probably wrong (that was not certain but likely). This means that I need to visit a j-yard anyway. I will be looking for a 1227429 or 1228062 (per the link John shared: http://www.cruzers.com/~ludis/c3xref.html ), and buying it proms and all. If it works AZ can have theirs back - and the NG can know AZ's brainless computer was a waist of time. There are 2 chips, the chip that's changed for a power chip (did that on an 88 S-10), and a smaller one. The new computer came with neither. The old computer had the little chip, and the bigger one was in a bag of screws on the floor (when I got the truck). So it's probably the smaller of the 2 chips, but for now I'm hoping it's J-yard to the rescue hoping to find it at www.garysupullit.com tomorrow morning. Elliott
NOT AZs fault that YOU don't have the correct chip. You were told REPEATEDLY that it DIDN'T COME WITH THE CHIPS. Both of those chips are application specific and without the correct ones it will not work. Oh and FYI the 1227429 computer HAS to be out of the type of vehicle you have or it will not work either. The box is the same as used in other vehicles but the chips are different. So if you get one that came out of an 88 with a manual trans it will not work in your vehicle with the auto trans. The 1228062 is an updated computer BUT it will not have the correct PROM in it either,you need the correct ones first.
--
Steve

"Elliott" < snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net> wrote in message
Like I said my 'old' chips could possibly have been correct but - but no - I've been screwed again by the prior owner of this thing. Whoever puts the wrong computer into a truck, and 1 of the chips in a seperate bag on the floor, and then and sells it claiming it's "perfect other than the blown engine" deserves to be shot - I'm not going to do it but someday someone will, if he doesn't die of his diseases first. And where oh where is someone supposed to get chips? Is, my only hope at this point is a big junk yard (in the sky)? And sorry - dissagree if you want to - but selling computers w/o chips seems stupid to this eningeer. Yea they may be app specific, but w/o any way to get the correct chips one is FUBAR. The instruction sheet warns against dammaging chips and voiding warrentee, but nowhere does it even provide a website to get a replacement chip - and thus I may return it with a very clear concience. Had there been at least a website offered for scoring the chips I would have probably bought them. Elliott PS: The website with the