Jimmy gas gauge

1991 GMC S15 Jimmy 4x4 V6 4.3L
Running great still, went on a 500 mile trip last week w/no problems. ;-)
Anyway, there is one thing that is bugging me... the gas gauge on that truck
has always been off by a quarter of a tank. When I'm full, it stays full for a looong time, and when it gets to a little under a quarter of a tank, I'm out of fuel.
Is there an easy way to adjust the scale of that gauge electrically, or am I stuck pulling the sensor off of the tank...?
-- orko

Buy a Non-GM vehicle. that problem seems to be endemic with GMs.
rhys
i have a 92 with the same problem but mines off a half a tank. The guy who replaced the fuel pump told me he must of bent the float?. if been getting around to dropping the tank for a year or so.(big job )

I was afraid of that... thanks for sharing in my pain though ;-)
-- orko

Gee, thanks. You're a big help ;-)
-- orko
There is a PCM update for most GM trucks ...For irratic fuel gauges......Seems GM put two different size tanks in some models and didnt adjust the PCM....you will need to goto the dealer to see if your model is one of them....After your get it reprogramed you will see a big difference...
I've got a 84 Silverado 4x4 and it's empty registering about 1/2 a tank. It's in the sending unit.
Jimb

Thanks. I'll concede then ;-)
Looks like there is no adjustment that I could do on the dashboard gauges, so I'll be doing the sending unit adjustment/replacement when it's warmer outside. Probably on a dry day in the spring/summer.
-- orko