K&N filter

my 93 silverado sportside has a K&N air filter in it. How do I go about cleaning it before putting it back in the truck again? I bought an AC DELCO one to replace it while I clean it.

To clean throw in garbage leave ac delco in and replace that occasionaly, unless of course you like to change engines not air filters.

A man after my own heart!
Doc

You said that to me a while back when I asked about hp in the 350. That motor has 346,000 km on it and it works great.

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:43:20 GMT, Michael McNeil

days. Not enough oil and it wouldn't filter well. Too much oil and the carb ran rich (read choked) No oil and it wouldn't start because the fuel/air mixture was tooooo lean. These filters are examples of sucessful marketing combined with "There is a Sucker born every Minute" They cost a mint to buy and an even more outrageous sum to maintain. Feel the oil and think -- how does this goooo let air through? IF it lets air through then how does it filter effectively?
There is no shame in haveing been conned. The shame is in failing to wake up and smell the coffee. -- Best Regards Gordie
If you're smart, you'll do what I and thousands like me have done - throw the K&N away and go back to a good paper filter.
Well a stock filter has been in the truck now for close to 200 km and I don't notice any performance or mileage differences....
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 00:08:59 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Rich B) wrote:

(Rich B)

The irony is, your engine can only suck in so much air. The "stock" paper air filter already flows more air than the engine can physically suck in at WOT. The "increased airflow" of the K&N is completely and utterly wasted as the engine can't use it anyways <it doesn't have anywhere to go!>. So, you get dirty incoming air and lots of useless "extra" air.
Doc

the K&N fans will say that it's like sucking air from a straw or a 1/2" pipe.... logically, that makes sense...
In real life, since an OEM filter provided more flow than you need with out a blower, it's really like comparing someone drinking through a 1/2" pipe and a 4" pipe... you can only drink so fast, no matter how much water is available..
But I did put a K&N on my leaf blower... It blew my neighbors house off the block and I have to siphon gas out of it all the time cuz of how much the efficiency went up..
ROFL!
Pindar
I would have to disagree, I conducted a test with the K&N vs the paper element, I used an industrial road stripe sand blaster (500HP Ingersoll Rand) to flow an air/300 grit sand mixture at 1800CFM at 200PSI, and both the paper element and the K&N were quickly destroid. So clearly, the K&N is better. ;-)
mac davis wrote:

when i bought my truck it had a K&N filter on it.. I removed it after cleaning it once and after the guys here told me i was better off without it.. I put in the Wix heavy duty filter and never really noticed any difference.. I have a friend who lives on a ranch north of me and he swares by them.. but.... i dunno for sure.. to me it's not worth even the thought have letting one spec more dirt in my engine..i can buy alot of gas for what it would cost to replace a motor.
Adair
Michael McNeil wrote:

www.knfilters.com
"Big Chris" offered: " www.knfilters.com" $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ WoW! an oil filter that is emission legal in all 50 states!!! Those KN "engineers" ! And it won't blow up AND it will flow 16 gal/min.(That's about a gallon every 4 seconds!) Guarranteed to filter out all particles under 3/4 inch.
******************** There are three kinds of lies; lies,damned lies,and statistics.---Disraeli
(over 3/4 inches that is)

leave the AC-Delco on it and shit-can the K$N