K & N filter and Mass air sensor

2004 Z71 5300 engine. 13 to 15 MPG on 2 lane highways 90+ mile runs What is the chance that a K & N air filter will short out a mass air sensor?
Installed a K&N air filter in an attempt to increase mileage (no difference) and two weeks later took it to the second dealer for poor fuel economy and they found the mass air sensor burnt out. Said it was caused by the K&N. They warrantied the sensor, put back in a regular filter and I can see about 2 MPG improvement. Should I try the K&N again? Could it help any?
No idea on your particular application, BUT...
I know that there were issues of MAF's being toasted on some BMW's - this was mostly because of the layout - the stock air filter was a few inches from the MAF. No problem. Change to a K&N, and you have an 'oil mess' sitting right beside it. The oil particles in the air stream were clogging up the sensor wire, and ruining the sensor.

I get between 18.5 and 20 mpg with a stock '01 Z71 5.3 on the hwy...and 12 to 13 towing a 6,500 pound travel trailer.
Do you drive with your foot in the accellerator?
Your lucky they covered it. There is a TSB about the K&N causing damage to the MAF and increased engine wear due to the poor filtering of the K&N.
Also you said yourself that you didn't see ANY improvement with the K&N so why bother.
http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm For some lab tests done showing that the K&N filters are mainly hype.
--
Steve

"prfarms" < snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com> wrote in message

Yes they are more a state of mind than anything else. Not worth the money and they do filter less too. Also if the person who started this thread gets such bad MPG, it is time to lot at driving habits and tires size and type as well because the tires can be a big factor here.

I've seen some folks spend big bucks for "better" intake and the K&N that thought they had more power.. but just had more noise... IMHO, a clean OEM filter can pass more air than the intake asks for.. YMWV Mac