K&N FIPK Question

Grettings,

I have a 1997 Blazer 4.3. I have been considering installing a K&N FIPK (Fuel Injection Perfromance Kit). Anyone have any advice on it? Also, any advice on installing a performance module. This Blazer has been fantastic and has only 53000 miles on it. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these add ons.

Thanks!!

Reply to
Joel

I have had a FIPK on my truck for two years now. Its still pretty clean, still works fine. I have not noticed ANY improvement in power or fuel economy. It pretty much just adds noise at WOT. It also worries me when I am out in the mud, since the filter does not have a plenum to protect it from water... some places are two+ feet deep, so I am sometimes worried about getting an intake full of water.

Reply to
Trey

then i'd get that thing the hell off my truck...

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Keep thinking about it.. Still have the old air box, just havent had time, ITs also been dry so it has not been an issue. Also, having the FIPK makes changing the spark plugs a LOT easier, sinc ethe air box is not in the way.

Reply to
Trey

I have the next gen FIPK on my fairly stock 2000 silverado. While I love the sound and like the idea of a washable filter element, I would not do it again. That $250+ is a waste of money. The K&N filters supposedly don't filter as well. I recently heard the oil in the filters can mess up a MAF sensor to the extent that GM has issued some sort of bulletin saying if the trans goes south and a K&N filter is used, it will not be covered under warranty. That is just what I heard from a local dealer. I wish someone made a paper element that fit the end of my FIPK so I could get the sound and proper filtration all in one! As for HP and MPG increases, I don't think there are any or they are marginal at best!

HTH,

Derek

Reply to
derek

Reply to
derek

Personally, I'm not a fan of the K&N intakes. Or any intake kits, actually. They only seem to produce gains when the motor has been rather heavily modded. The stock airbox in my last two trucks provided the best off idle throttle responce, and fuel economy. I'd rather have those two, than 5hp at 5,000rpm (for example).

I ran Hypertech programming in my '00 S10, and it was a waste... it only kicked in at WOT, and even then, it was barely noticeable.

I ran a few mods with that old 4.3, and it didn't seem to respond well to any of them. Borla exhaust, plug wires, aftermarket filter, airbox mods.

My last truck had a 5.3, and the new one has a 6.0 - those motors LOVE being modded.

If you were looking for computer mods, I'd keep an eye out over at

I'm running that software and LOVE it.

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind