K&N POS

I've a 99 Silverado K1500 Z71 that has one of these on it similar to this http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr 9961&prmenbr61
I don't know when it was put on as it was on it when I bought it about 6 mos ago. I've looked into the prices of replacing it with the original air box that comes from the factory but the prices are out of my range atm and the ones I've seen at the junk yards are all missing pieces here and there. So, is there an AC Delco or maybe a Fram type filter that will fit on the intake in place of the K&N? It does have a slight, almost un noticeable hesitation out of the hole and the dealer recommended replacing the intake with the original to remedy it.
65,500mi approx. Thanks for any advice.
--
A:\DOS>ver
MS-DOS version 2.11

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr 9961&prmenbr61

Anonymous,
I've never seen a cone-style filter like the one you have that wasn't the gauze/oil type. Other brands are available other than K&N (Accell, Air-Raid) but they still use the gauze and oil instead of good ol' paper.
I'd just hit several junkyards until you have a complete OE air-intake system, or maybe check on e-bay as folks installing these systems might have the OE systems for sale on e-bay.
Doc
| Anonymous, | | I've never seen a cone-style filter like the one you have that wasn't the | gauze/oil type. Other brands are available other than K&N (Accell, | Air-Raid) but they still use the gauze and oil instead of good ol' paper. | | I'd just hit several junkyards until you have a complete OE air-intake | system, or maybe check on e-bay as folks installing these systems might have | the OE systems for sale on e-bay. | | Doc | | | Thanx Doc, I will keep shopping the junk yards and perhaps ebay until i get lucky, but until then, would you recommend either of the filters you mentioned above over the K&N or are they all basically the same since they're made of the same materials?

All cotton/gauze/oil type filters are pretty much the same IMHO.
Doc

Measure the base size and look for a straight walled filter with the same size. You would probably have to make a cover for the other end but that would be easy. As a bonus they have more surface area and will probably outflow the K&N..
Take a look at the Purolator A14347, Fram CA3924, AC Delco A905C, Pennzoil PZA135 Those are 5 1/8" OD X 3 3/4" ID X 5" tall
http://snipurl.com/9tjv http://snipurl.com/9tju
--
Steve Williams

""Doc"" < snipped-for-privacy@nope.com> wrote in message

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr 9961&prmenbr61

mos
that
I've
an AC

the
hole and

it.
Try to enter the K&N filter number if you know it in the interchange here. http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/index.asp If you don't get an interchange number email them and they'll be glad to help you replace the K&N I'm sure.
Brian